Thread: Recover individual mailbox - Open Source 4.5

Default Recover individual mailbox - Open Source 4.5

Hi,

As a result of fat-fingering some maintenance, I deleted a mailbox. I have a full backup of the /opt/zimbra dir. I am unable to find any direction about recovering an individual mailbox in 4.5 open-source. The links for Backup and Restore in the Wiki are dead.

I don't mind doing a little "unreccommended" hacking as it's my own mailbox that I deleted

Any help would be appreciated.

mm

did you found a solution?

gregor

I haven't found anything yet. The manual I downloaded from my Zimbra Admin help console leads me to believe i need to restore the entire /opt/zimbra directory i.e. ALL the mailboxes, or live with the missing box. All or nothing.

I haven't unzipped the backup I made and begun digging through it yet. I don't think the directory is set up in such a way that i could go in and say, find moneymonk's mailbox and replace it. It seems to grow by the message and not slort messages by mailbox. I was considering setting up another instance of zimbra, importing the backup, and then forwarding all the mail to myself. A real project i dont know i have time for.

any ideas would be helpful. there was a lot of info in my mailbox that i would regularly reference.

thanks-
    mm

Smile Have you tried...

You should be able to restore a single mailbox through the admin GUI. Under the laft-hand frame, under "tools", you should find "Backups". Clicking ont he server name should bring up a list of available backups. Select the correct one and click "restore". You should get an option to do all mailboxes, or selected ones.

I've been through the threads and read about this fix. I don't think my version provides this functionality. My admin GUI doesn't have a "Tools" tab. Perhaps there's an "Admin extension" i can download?

the individual mailbox backup/restore is only in the Network Edition (NE) which is why you can't see those options in your open source version.

I'm not aware of any solution to restore an individual mailbox or groups of mailboxes in the open source version. You need to restore the whole /opt/zimbra folder.

Of course, you could create a second zimbra server, physical or virtual and restore the entire backup data to /opt/zimbra and then imapsync the required account from your "backup zimbra server" to your live server.
    A lot easier to spend a few dollars on the NE version and get the added support and features, if individual mailbox restore is critical to you.
    Derek Buchanan
    Director

Utilis Technology Ltd.
    http://www.utilis.ie

thanks for the advice.

we are planning an upgrade to the latest and greatest commercial version probably next month.

in the meantime i'll look into the virtual server route. can you point me toward some good documentation re: setting this up?

does imapsync only synch imap clients? im unfamiliar with the tool?

mm
    Last edited by moneymonk; 09-25-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEREKB View Post
    the individual mailbox backup/restore is only in the Network Edition (NE) which is why you can't see those options in your open source version.
    Ahh...I wasn't aware there were differences in the versions.

You can install imapsync on one of your servers and use it to sync/copy a user mailbox(s) from one zimbra server to another using the imap server built into zimbra. It also replicates the folder structure you have in you mailboxes.

you can then restore calendars and contacts via export to csv function from the restored mailbox webclient interface and import into the live mailbox

User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    Derek Buchanan
    Director

Utilis Technology Ltd.
    http://www.utilis.ie