Thread: RFC: Mailbox archiving design thread

Default RFC: Mailbox archiving design thread

People get fired. Even if they don't work for Donald Trump.

And they have lots of email, typically, when that happens.

At the moment, ZCS has no reasonable method of handling the three requirements that poses to an administrator:

1) I need to archive that user's mail as of the date they were terminated.

2) It needs to be done in such a fashion that if we re-hire them, or want to bestow that mail on another user, we can import that mail back into the other user's mailstore, starting from whatever folder name we specify, merging messages as necessary.

3) It needs to not take up a licensed seat on NE/PRO.

If this process is designed correctly before it's implemented, then the export/import process will be useful for other circumstances as well, such as mine: importing about 2GB of old mail from mbox 'folder' files from my Mutt installation.

The Whole World isn't running Exchange. :-)

So, those things said, what would you use a commandline, administrator import/export process for, and how would you like to see it work.

My goal here is to either provide live enduser guidance to Z on designing such a process for inclusion in the mainline, or to get together with a couple coders and do it ourselves, also for inclusion in the mainline.

Course, if we do it ourselves, then it might end up included in the FOSS release. ;-)

Discuss.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

After reading this thread, it occurs to me that such a tool could reasonably use the IMAP interface to a mailbox to get it's work done, but while that thread discusses IMAP to IMAP migration, I don't think any of those tools will talk to a directory full of mbox files -- though perhaps some of them can be modified to, by someone who writes better perl than I do. :-)
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

I just replied a long post in the other thread: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/migrati...tml#post109459

Quick snips:
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    ZimbraMigrate incorporates Imapsync + REST exports, but even easier-

You can export an entire mailbox with:
    zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com getRestURL "//?fmt=tgz" > /tmp/user.tgz

And import (back to your NE when you need them or even a FOSS box you use just for past employee data retention) with:
    zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com postRestURL "//?fmt=tgz&resolve=reset" /tmp/user.tgz

What I typically do is

zmbackup -f -a georgewbush@whitehouse.gov

and then make a tarball of the resulting full-* directory in /opt/zimbra/backup, noting the ZCS version used because backups might not be recoverable in future versions of ZCS - Bug 15750 – support for restore across major versions is targeted for 6.0.

This might not meet all aspects of requirement #2, though.

imapsync/REST upload of contacts/calendars to Zimbra FOSS is also possible.