Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Split domain relay

Default [SOLVED] Split domain relay

Trying to figure this out...

I've read the wiki article but in each scenario I don't see the method of relaying to the secondary server besides creating an account (forwarding) on the primary.

In our scenario we have users in a single domain, some accounts on Zimbra (primary) and some on the old mail server (secondary).

If Zimbra is primary with a specific users accounts, how do I configure it to relay messages to users with mailboxes not present on primary to the secondary mail server?
    Last edited by mek1; 09-24-2008 at 04:21 PM.

The Split Domain wiki clearly states for your scenario (Zimbra primary, other secondary) that you need to create corresponding accounts on the Zimbra system for all accounts that will live on the secondary server. You then use the 'zmprov' command specified in the wiki to modify the 'zimbraMailTransport' setting for these accounts.

Is there something about this method that won't work for you?

Yes, we have more accounts than licenses. Wouldn't creating accounts then modifying them with zimbraMailTransport still apply to licensed accounts?

Not sure because I don't run NE, but I think you are right about the licenses. Have you considered switching around so that Zimbra is the secondary server?

Yes, you have to have enough account licenses for everyone if you want to use Z as the primary.

I concur: you're going to need to run Z as the secondary, or find a way to wire the extra forwards into Postfix directly on a Z primary.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

If anyone has a method of configuring Postfix to handle this (Z as Primary) I'm not finding examples. We want Z as primary to handle spam/virii etc, that's one of the objectives.

thanks

Not sure about this on a Zimbra system, but on a plain Postfix system you can use the transport table to do something like this. You can put an entry like this in the table:
    jdoe@domain.com smtp:[secondary.domain.com]

Again, not sure how this integrates into a Zimbra system. The other thing you'll have to look at is whether or not you can set up the system to accept messages for accounts that don't exist locally.

Good point Soxfan and Baylink

I might have to scrap the initial plan and make NE secondary.

Let me know if this would work appropriately:

roll out Zimbra OSS as primary
    create all accounts and domains with select accounts forwarding (zimbraMailTransport) to secondary Zimbra NE
    setup secondary Zimbra NE
    create select accounts (those that are forwarded from OSS primary)

I have a feeling it might cause a relay loop or other problems with select accounts living in different places however.

I'm currently tackling a similar split domain relay problem myself, though for different reasons.

I've got Zimbra CE as MTA hosting a bunch of accounts as well as an Exchange box behind it.

The Wiki for split domains worked faily well for me (as long as the domains used by the two servers are separate), with the exception of backscatter. The catch-alls let the emails through to the Exchange box only to bounce, which results in backscatter (and server bans T_T).

Creating duplicate accounts in Zimbra is a little impractical (having to keep it constantly syncronized, multiple aliases in Exchange, etc).

My research and experiments the past week has resulted in a little hack:
    - collect all the addresses used by Exchange using the perl getadsmtp.pl script that floats around the net.
    - create files from this data for used by postfix transport maps and virtual mailboxes
    eg. xxx@example.com smtp:mail2.example.com

update postfix_virtual_mailbox_maps and postfix_transport_maps to look at this file in addition to what they are checking now. Purge the catch-alls from Zimbra (because they will stop this from working properly).

Doing it like this ends up with a missing virtual mailbox error when an unknown address is used, but no bounce email will result.

Is this method normal for such situations, or is there a better way to do this?
    Last edited by telv; 09-25-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling

roll out Zimbra OSS as primary
    create all accounts and domains with select accounts forwarding (zimbraMailTransport) to secondary Zimbra NE
    setup secondary Zimbra NE
    create select accounts (those that are forwarded from OSS primary)

I have a feeling it might cause a relay loop or other problems with select accounts living in different places however.
    I think this should work. It sounds like the traditional Split Domain setup to me. Why do you think it will cause a relay loop?