Thread: Using external mail filtering via procmail master.cf

Default Using external mail filtering via postfix master.cf

Hi; we haven't started using ZCS live yet but are considering it seriously. We have a highly tuned SpamAssassin spam filtering setup for our users and don't want to lose its benefits. I looked at the ZCS docs and it looks like inserting all our SA customizations into ZCS would be prohibitive (we use SARE, sa-update, per-user sa-learn, per-user bayes dbs, razor2, pyzor, dcs, custom rules, etc.).

My current thinking is why not just apply my current SA install via a custom content filter in postfix master.cf? (append -o content_filter=sa:dummy, with appropriate definition of filter "sa" to call the system spamd). Is this likely to work? Will it be robust against ZCS upgrades?

If so, where do I filter SA spam values (by looking at the header SA added) over a certain limit into a systemwide spam trap (just in case they were false positives)? We do that now with procmail, but I'm guessing ZCS has a good way to do this part.

Thanks very much!

-- Gary O
    Last edited by garyo; 10-17-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Hi Gary,
    It will work, but will probably cause problems on upgrade.

My suggestion is to modify the Zimbra SpamAssassin install. It's pretty straightforward. Any file you altered on your current system, modify on the ZCS system. The only difference, is the "real" config file will have a .in extension (is something.conf.in).

Hi, jholder. Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure how I can make zimbra use spamd rather than spamassassin just by modifying the Zimbra SA install, but I'll look into it -- maybe replace the actual "spamassassin" binary with a script that calls spamc or something? And from reading the forums, it sounds like modifying the Zimbra SA install may cause upgrade problems too (or at least my mods may get overwritten on upgrade): true or false?

Hi again, jholder. I'm looking into this, and all I can say is it sure would be a *lot* easier if you would just add a procmail hook somewhere! All my proposed solutions seem to be painful at best, and fragile and slow at worst. Is there anywhere I can go to add a "please add procmail support" feature request? :-)

Bugzilla Main Page and then post the number to this thread asking people to vote

Okay -- it's now Zimbra bug #32442. Please vote for it if you think adding optional procmail support to Zimbra is a good idea!
    Bug 32442 – Please allow procmail filtering on incoming messages
    Last edited by garyo; 10-18-2008 at 04:58 AM. Reason: added url