Thread: On Behalf Of Randomly Showing Up

Default On Behalf Of Randomly Showing Up

OK, this may have been discussed elsewhere, but I having a hard time searching due to the very common search terms. Since upgrading to 5.0.10 we have been noticing messages showing up with an "On Behalf Of" line in the web client for messages sent from other Zimbra users. The thing is I can't seem to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. For example, a user sent me a message at 12:15 PM today and it did not include the line. She sent me another message at 2:37 PM and it had the "On Behalf Of" line. Both messages were sent to me only, and they were not forwards or responses.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all, but I'm starting to get questions about why this is happening, and I don't know what to tell the users.

I noticed this too on the messages about beta testing zimlets. It looks like it is due to a "Senfer" line in the messages. For example:
    Code:
    Sender: mmorse@zimbra.com
    To: mike@zimbra.com
    Shows as:
    Code:
    Sent by: mmorse@zimbra.com
    On behalf of: mike@zimbra.com
    To: mike@zimbra.com
    I know this doesn't help much as it's just an observation, but it seems to be something that Zimbra has started recently for some reason.

Thanks for the reply. But in your example the sender and on behalf of addresses are different, so I can see where the user might have another account setup or something like that. In my case, however, the sending and on behalf of addresses are the exact same. That's why it doesn't make any sense to me.

Just found the answer in this blog entry: Mailboxes: Sharing vs. Relationships » Zimbra :: Blog

As shown above - when replying from an account that’s not yours, emails include a header designating who it was really sent by & “on behalf of” is displayed. It’s also shown as unread in the sent folder of the account owner so they’re made aware of it.
    This might be related to Zimbra desktop...I will test later.

Default I get this too. Does anybody read old posts?

I see this post is more than six months old, but I can't find anything else on this topic. I too am plagued by "On Behalf Of" and it's killing me.

I do a lot of sub-contract work, so I need to be able to send emails with particular return email addresses. I've got the other accounts created as my personas and they are all aliases of my mailbox. When I select one in the dropdown box, sometimes it says "from alias" other times it says "From primary address on behalf of alias". It's caused me all kinds of grief with my customers because they don't want their customers to see this.

It seems to be completely random. I've tried proving that it's "Draft Autosave". I've tried proving that it's writing the message in a new window. In reading on this topic, I fear that Zimbra is occcasionally not sure that I really am the owner of the account and is trying to protect the recipient from any subterfuge. I can't find the pattern and it's really making me crazy.

Anybody figure out the pattern or a way to stop zimbra from saying "on behalf of".

I'm currently running:
    Release 5.0.11_GA_2696.RHEL4_20081117013729 CentOS4 NETWORK edition

Thanks,
    Mr.3