Thread: [SOLVED] Access Control on Distribution Lists

Post [SOLVED] Access Control on Distribution Lists

I've seen some mention of access control for distribution lists.

I've seen some mentions of this in the forums for lists like all@server.com or staff@server.com. The goal of these lists is to be able to send email to a whole large group of people. I realize that's obvious. The problem is that they can also become a very nice source for spam.

There's a "Hide in GAL" option which is useful for the casual browser. There's also the "Can receive mail" option which I assume is an enabled option. However, these don't protect against malicious intent.

Example: Somebody sends an email to the staff. Staff forwards this message to a concerned customer. Customer shows an involved customer of theirs. Customer is upset because of whatever might be going on and mail bombs the list creating a huge multiplication of emails. Not only that, but it's the Zimbra server that's doing all of the work of multiplying the emails.

I know this feature has been requested a few times and is a only going to be implemented if enough request is made.

I saw a reference to this link (http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...tfixRecipients) which didn't seem too horrible, but it would be nice if there could be a GUI option and possibly sender verification.

Is there any way to make this post sticky and let any curious users express their interest? If I recall correctly, there's also a bug tracking system that users can vote interest in. Is there any way to move this into that and also leave a sticky so people can have a reference?

Yup - I have a feeling mmorse will be the first to respond to this. Hi Mike.

Thanks,
    -Mike

Default Way To Vote

Found a way to vote for this: Bug 9620 – Mail policies and access control for sending to distribution lists

Same response Mr Morse would have given... as he's given it in a few posts. I searched google and once I added mmorse to the string I found that link.

Anyway, I'm still hoping we can make this a sticky in some way.

Sry, if we stuck every "RFE wanted" thread that would be excessive...hence the votes & tagged support tickets in bugzilla.
    That's a pretty common request though and should get addressed in GNR.
    Like your search technique