Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zimbra in-depth questions

Default zimbra in-depth questions

Hi to all,

I'm going to migrate an Exchage mail server to Zimbra, but before this (great) moment i build a test server to start to know the zimbra environment. I have some (maybe easy) questions...

1. there is a way to get a single user message in text format (or maybe to "grep" something in user mailbox)? where are stored? the only way i find is to export all the messages with zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com getRestURL “//?fmt=tgz” > /tmp/account.tgz

2. is it possible to export the calendar in "ical format"?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

L.

Quote Originally Posted by glimpse79 View Post
    Hi to all,

I'm going to migrate an Exchage mail server to Zimbra, but before this (great) moment i build a test server to start to know the zimbra environment. I have some (maybe easy) questions...

1. there is a way to get a single user message in text format (or maybe to "grep" something in user mailbox)? where are stored? the only way i find is to export all the messages with zmmailbox -z -m user@domain.com getRestURL “//?fmt=tgz” > /tmp/account.tgz
    The messages are stored in plain text under /opt/zimbra/store. There are several directories below that and it's organized by account id or something like that not by username so finding stuff can be a bit of a challenge.

You may want to look at this site which has a zimlet for download that allows you to drag a message or a whole folder to it and save a zip file of the messages in text format.

2. is it possible to export the calendar in "ical format"?
    Yes. Go to the Prefernces tab, click on the Calendar heading, and go to the bottom and you'll find the export option.

thanks a lot for your reply! Very usefull.

another question... (thanks for your patience)...

- is it possible without mailman to have moderated mailing list?

moderated? no. there is a way you can restrict who can send to the lists with postfix but there are no mailing list features like moderation built in (yet?).

thanks again...

last questions about ldap:

- i'd like to have authentication using active directory, is it possible to have different AD login name and email login name?
    - the match between ad user and mail user works only if are the same? or i can match custom user?

no they don't have to match. you can use a ldap filter to match the zimbra user against an attribute of your ad user.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    no they don't have to match. you can use a ldap filter to match the zimbra user against an attribute of your ad user.
    so if i want to match the ad user brown with the mail mark.brown and the AD user smith with the email user richard.smith is it possible.? using the simbra command line or the administrator web tool?

no, you need something in your AD to match against. it doesn't have to be teh cn, or uid. it can be a custom attribute but zimbra needs something to search your AD to match 'smith' against. i guess it would be possible maybe to match using a wildcard so richard.smith would match smith but that seems like it'd be inviting trouble if you hire a joe.smith

ultimately you need an attribute for the user richard.smith that is 'smith' and that is unique to him.

thanks, thanks again!

very last question...

is it possible with zimbra to manage free/busy url with the calendar?

i'm not quite sure what you're asking. you can view your free/busy time via a url if you set it up to share that way.