Thread: iCal web calendar

Hybrid View

Default iCal web calendar

Is there anyway to access an iCal calendar on zimbra without having to supply a username and password?

The reason I am asking this is I would like to use a little app called php iCalendar to access an iCal and display it on the web.

Nevermind. I figured it out. I use a cron'ed wget using the --http-user and --http-passwd switches to download the icals.

I'm interested in this, too (not having to supply a username and password to view an ICS file output from Zimbra). The root issue is being able to view shared Zimbra calendars in our desktop applications. Even though I and my coworkers can see each others' shared calendars in the online client, we can't see those calendars in our desktop clients (WinXP Outlook and OSX Mail). Is there any other way to do this besides subscribing to the ICS feed for each calendar? If using the ICS feeds is the only way, is there a way to make it not require authentication? We don't really need that much security, we would rather have interoperability.

Quote Originally Posted by graefen
    I'm interested in this, too (not having to supply a username and password to view an ICS file output from Zimbra). The root issue is being able to view shared Zimbra calendars in our desktop applications. Even though I and my coworkers can see each others' shared calendars in the online client, we can't see those calendars in our desktop clients (WinXP Outlook and OSX Mail). Is there any other way to do this besides subscribing to the ICS feed for each calendar? If using the ICS feeds is the only way, is there a way to make it not require authentication? We don't really need that much security, we would rather have interoperability.
    How i got around the issue is I set up a seperate webdav server in linux and then cron wget's using http authentication to download the ICS file to the webdav folder every 5 minutes. This way you can access the ICS file using your favorite iCal application (without authentication). I believe the network edition is able to access your calendar using a client such as outlook.

The REST URL's should allow you to see .ics calendars of user's who have shared with you. If you have the Network Edition you can use iSync to 2-way sync all the calendars to your iCal app. In an up coming release the Outlook Connector will allow you to see the calendars that are shared with you.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    The REST URL's should allow you to see .ics calendars of user's who have shared with you. If you have the Network Edition you can use iSync to 2-way sync all the calendars to your iCal app. In an up coming release the Outlook Connector will allow you to see the calendars that are shared with you.
    Ok, we can wait for the Outlook Connector, but you say that the iSync should work 2-way for all shared calendars? Do we have to do anything special? I just tested it with a coworker and did a manual sync from the Zimbra preferences pane, but the shared calendars don't show up in his desktop iCal. What is the "REST URL"? Is it "http://<server>/service/home/<username>/calendar" or is it a different URL? We're using the iSync Adaptor version 0.9.7; is there a newer version?

Quote Originally Posted by jmeier
    How i got around the issue is I set up a seperate webdav server in linux and then cron wget's using http authentication to download the ICS file to the webdav folder every 5 minutes. This way you can access the ICS file using your favorite iCal application (without authentication). I believe the network edition is able to access your calendar using a client such as outlook.
    Have you had any success viewing shared calendars in Outlook? I try clicking the "View Shared Calendar" link and inputting the user's email address (on my Zimbra server), but it says that the user's calendar is not accessible.

Do you (or does anyone else) know of any other method of viewing shared calendars in our desktop clients? For instance, could I turn off the authentication on the server (preferably, turn it off for individual users on the server) so that we could view the ICS feeds without authentication? I'd prefer not to have to come up with a workaround solution if I can help it...

Quote Originally Posted by graefen
    Have you had any success viewing shared calendars in Outlook? I try clicking the "View Shared Calendar" link and inputting the user's email address (on my Zimbra server), but it says that the user's calendar is not accessible.
    It's currently not supported with Outlook.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.