Thread: GAL when composing a message ?

Default GAL when composing a message ?

Hello there

I was wondering if there is a setting somewhere to enable the user to look at all the contacts in GAL when composing a message ? rightnow all the user can see is an empty list when selecting GAL from the drop down menu of the select addresses, the user has to search by characters instead of looking at everybody and choosing ... am i missing something ?

This is called GAL browsing. It's not in the Web UI today. The Outlook Connector has it. The reason for this is that there may be thousands of contacts in the GAL and you don't want to send those to the web client each time. Search is a much better interface for this.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

If you don't have many users(I have around 200) you can set the amount the search will return to a number over the amount of users you have(the default is 100). Then you just have your users get in the habit of just dropping a period in the serch field and bingo you have a list of all your users. It should not be too hard to pre-populate the search field with a period or your domain name if you want. I plan to look at the code and see if I can do it. If I get it working I will post here. Again it will all depend on how many users you have, this aproach probably wont work too well if you have thousands of users.

fyi this is in bugzilla if you want to vote and/or track it:

Bug 5989 - making the GAL browsable
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5989