Thread: "mailboxes" and NE licensing

Default "mailboxes" and NE licensing

In researching how to do an alias for an external email account, I noticed that my global settings report "31 accounts used" while we only have 27 accounts. On top of that, it would appear that the only way to create an alias to an external account is to create a mailbox (thereby taking one seat) and pointing the canonical address to the outside account.

Is this accurate? Will every external forwarder really cost us one licensing seat?
    I see the spam/ham training accounts are counting against our total, so system accounts count against the licenses as well?

Also, any idea about the discrepancy between # of accounts and the license count?

The admin, spam, ham and wiki accounts also 'count' on licenses I believe.

I know creating accounts to relay to a secondary mail server does cost a license. In my scenario we ended up settling with all accounts on Open Source Edition and relaying a select few on Network Edition.
    Last edited by mek1; 10-21-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling!

i havn't tried it, but couldn't you setup some virtusertable in postfix?

Although one can certainly do this directly with postfix and/or another MTA, it would break the unified management through the admin interface. You can also set up distribution lists that act as external forwarders, which seems the only real option to not cost license seats and still keep management in one place. The latter is viable, though it's a workaround not a "fix". Why can't aliases just be pointed to an external domain? This is a fundamental feature of pretty much every mail system.

In regard to license seats, I'm a bit confused about why licensing doesn't exclude forwarders and system accounts. NE doesn't offer any added features for a forward-only account over OSS (i.e. Outlook would not connect to a forward-only account, nor would *any* client for that matter). Taking a license seat for this is a bit like punishing someone for buying NE. OTOH, the licensing issue is moot if we could just point aliases externally.

BTW, not even MS or Novell charge for aliases, no matter where they point.

Does this need a feature request?

-Mike

Inexplicably, our license count now adds up (we haven't added or removed any mailboxes since the first posting).

"Global Settings -> License" reports 23 accounts used, while Accounts shows 26 users (that is 26 minus ham/spam/wiki accounts). Maybe something was cached....

Can anyone chime in on the aliases issue?

-Mike

I realize this is an old thread, but could it be that Mike rebooted the server in between license checks? I've read some indications that licenses for deleted accounts aren't freed until a reboot. Ah, here's the bugzilla entry: Bug 24009 - deleted accounts don't update license count till server restart

So based Mike's last post, it sounds like ham/spam/wiki don't count against license limits, but admin does.

About the alias issue, the workaround is to make a distribution list with a single member. It's a little kludgy but effective per http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...-aliasses.html