Thread: antivirus configuration

Default antivirus configuration

Hello,

I am currently looking to migrate from a "home brew" qmail based email system to a commercial version of the zimbra platform. One of the issues that has been raised when testing with the open source edition is that users now get emails that say they have had a virus. Previously we rejected all emails with a virus as we found that many of the emails containing virus' tended to be from worms which had fake from addresses or something similar. Is it possible within zimbra to reject all virus emails on a domain based level or Server based level?

Regards,

Jimmy.

Welcome to the forums

They will get quarantined anyway and not end up in the users Inbox. Have a read off http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...rus-email.html.

Default users email

Does the user still get notified of the virus based email ? I had a look through the admin guide and could not see any reference to turning that off completely.

There are several reasons for this, currently we are using clamav and a third party signature database which recognises many of the images used in more modern spam. When the spam message is actually html based email with embedded images the signature database can see the image and mark it as a virus, on my existing qmail environment it will reject these messages at the SMTP session. If it is legitimate email the user will get the bounce back saying that there was an issue. If its spam which it most likely is there is no bounce back email going to an invalid address, there is no quarantine which saves disk resources and reduces any possible problems.

The problem I face is trying to keep existing customers happy while improving their service "feel".

I am not really sure on that to be honest. Personally I run MailScanner infront of ZCS so I have more control over the anti-Spam and anti-Virus features without touching the ZCS configuration. Like you I have implemented image recognition, but do not dump at SMTP level in-case of FPs.

I believe what you are looking for is in the admin console under Global Settings. Go to the AS/AV tab and uncheck the box that says "Send notification to recipient".