Thread: Release notes?

Hybrid View

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Default Release notes?

Hi, is there any release notes anywhere for the various releases? I can't find anything for instance detailing the changes between each developer build.

Not really... In the freshmeat note I try to put in some highlights but in general we don't do much. Of course if you want to pick through CVS you'd be able get any changes yourself.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

as a network customer, i would like to know what features and in particular security fixes each release has, as to know the urgency to upgrade.

as an opensource user, i would like to know what new spangly toys i get to play with! otherwise i have no idea what to look for and test.

release notes are very important for new releases - for most other things i can accept 'look at the source code' but in this case that is not a suitable response. they are a fundamental communication with the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2
    as a network customer, i would like to know what features and in particular security fixes each release has, as to know the urgency to upgrade.

as an opensource user, i would like to know what new spangly toys i get to play with! otherwise i have no idea what to look for and test.

release notes are very important for new releases - for most other things i can accept 'look at the source code' but in this case that is not a suitable response. they are a fundamental communication with the customer.
    Releases always come with full and complete feature lists, what's changed and know issues. Developer builds are the farthest thing from releases other than pulling code from CVS. They are for experimenting with the latest bits and trying to test if a particular bug is fixed etc. If your trying to do either of those you already know (based on the bug information) which build you need to test.

As I mentioned we'll try put a quick summary of the shiny bits in the Freshmeat announcement so you have some idea of what to look for if your just browsing a new release.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.