Thread: Connect to Zimbra's MySQL via ODBC?

Default Connect to Zimbra's MySQL via ODBC?

Hello!

I was wondering if it was possible to connect to Zimbra's database using ODBC?

- jesse

As long as it is bound to a IP address, outside of 127.0.0.1, then there should be no reason why you cannot connect it you have the user name and password.

Hi all.

I was hoping for some guidance. I'm trying to access the MySQL database on my Zimbra server using an ODBC connection from a Windows XP system. I got the necessary information such as username and password and database name, but it's not letting me connect.

I fear I might be doing something on the higher level, such as needing samba running or something.

Has anyone set up an ODBC connection in this manner? If so, can you post your suggestions?

Much appreciated. I'll post back here as I discover it.

- Jesse

I seem to be running into a snag. The problem seems to have something to do with being unable to view/run MySQL commands unless you're in the Zimbra user account.

For example, I cannot log in to the MySQL shell unless I'm running it as the Zimbra user (not even root works).

su zimbra
    mysql -p

Then I can log in.

So only the Zimbra user can view the database and run database commands. In the Synaptic package manager (I'm using Ubuntu 8.04) I noticed that MySQL server was not installed so I installed it - and it promptly broke the Zimbra installation, although I could then log in and view the databases as root.

I'm currently reinstalling the system - it's a test system for this purpose alone.

Seems to be that the system doesn't recognize the database since it's not the standard installation - so the system looks to where MySQL is supposed to be and finds nothing.

Does anyone know how I can tell the system where to look for the database files and socket files and such?

Thanks!

- Jesse

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jreinhart View Post
    I noticed that MySQL server was not installed so I installed it - and it promptly broke the Zimbra installation, although I could then log in and view the databases as root.
    It's highly improbable that installing the o/s MySQL did that, Zimbra uses non-standard ports for MySQL. Many users run a separate instance of MySQL on their Zimbra server without problems.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

OK. I'm not really concerned about running multiple databases on the Zimbra box, only with accessing the data in Zimbra's MySQL instance.

Do you have any advice or insight? I can't believe this hasn't been done or can't be done, but I lack the know how on it.

Thanks very much for your time and input.

- Jesse

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jreinhart View Post
    Hi all.

I was hoping for some guidance. I'm trying to access the MySQL database on my Zimbra server using an ODBC connection from a Windows XP system. I got the necessary information such as username and password and database name, but it's not letting me connect.

I fear I might be doing something on the higher level, such as needing samba running or something.

Has anyone set up an ODBC connection in this manner? If so, can you post your suggestions?

Much appreciated. I'll post back here as I discover it.

- Jesse
    could you give me some info on which mysql user and password to use in the ODBC connection and also the database name info

I didn't look but I am guessing mysql is setup to only listen to localhost and that is why you can't login from your XP box.

I don't remember the actual command, but there's a ZM command you can run to get the connection info for your ODBC connection, including the username and password.

However, I still was unable to get a connection to the database to pull information out.

Sorry I can't be of better use!

- Jesse

Thumbs up

well jesse thanks for the info.....