Thread: [SOLVED] Uploading large files to Briefcase... timeout?

Hybrid View

Default [SOLVED] Uploading large files to Briefcase... timeout?

I've changed the limits on zimbraFileUploadMaxSize and zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize to allow files up to 500MB. When on the local network with our Zimbra box, I can easily upload files with no problems. 400MB ISOs are stored just fine. However, when trying to upload a larger file from an offsite location, odd errors occur. The upload speed at the remote site is roughly 512k. When trying to upload a 200MB file, Zimbra churns and churns during the upload process. When complete, there is no notification and the file never shows up in the briefcase. Smaller ~10-50MB files have no problems.

I can verify that the entire file transfer completed successfully by checking the traffic usage on our edge firewall/router. I've even tried logging in and out, clearing the local browser cache, etc with no avail.

Is there some sort of timeout mechanism for the transfer? When transferring a 200MB file over 512k DSL, it can take a bit of time for the transfer to complete. Maybe a socket is closing prematurely within Zimbra?

We're running Zimbra OpenSource 5.0.4_GA_2101.RHEL5 on 32bit x86 CentOS5.

Where would you start to troubleshoot such a problem?

All ideas welcome. Thank you!

Anything in your logfiles (/opt/zimbra/log) that could indicate a failure ?

Since there are a few hundred logs available, could you point me in the right direction on which ones should be watched?

I believe I found a "smoking gun". I carefully watched the mailbox.log file during transfer. Near the end of the transfer, I saw this:

http://www.supersupport.net/ztemp/ULFTBT.txt

So the big issue I see is the glaring "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" error near the top with the spiral death followed afterwards. Is there a way to increase the heap space available to Java/Zimbra?

Any suggestions?

Well I did some searching and updated our java heap size using these commands:

Code:
    zmlocalconfig -e tomcat_java_heap_memory_percent=50
    zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_heap_memory_percent=50
    The default for mailboxd was set for 30 and there was no existing setting for tomcat. Hope someone else finds this helpful.
    Last edited by tnelson; 11-07-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Minor formatting...