Thread: Is it possible to disable 'chats', 'contacts' and 'emailed contacts' folders?

Hybrid View

Default Is it possible to disable 'chats', 'contacts' and 'emailed contacts' folders?

Hi there,

I collect email from zimbra via IMAP and the above folders appear in my email client's folders list (Apple mail).

I know that they cannot be deleted but is it possible to disable these 3 folders so that they don't appear?

Do you want them excluded from your imapsync or disabled as features in Zimbra. If it is the latter, an admin can disable them from the admin control panel for the specific user account in "features". The individual user can disable the "emailed contacts" from his preferences/addressbook (uncheck the setting) but I don't know if that would stop the imapsync. If you don't want them to be sync'd, you should be able to select which folders get sync'ed with the Apple Mail client. I've done it in outlook, but not Apple Mail. I don't recommend trying to delete the folders!

Unfortunately Apple Mail doesn't allow you to subscribe / unsubscribe to non-public and non-shared imap folders so they would have to be disabled through zimbra.

Disabling the 'emailed contacts' through preferences doesn't make any difference so the answer must lie in the imapsync.

Any clues anyone?

To tell IMAPsync to ignore a folder when syncing mailboxes you simply add a
    Code:
    --exclude "folder name"
    parameter and it will exclude all folders that match that pattern (I believe you can even use regex in this field)

An example command:
    Code:
    imapsync --noauthmd5 \
                   --exclude "Junk" --exclude "Contacts" \
                   --exclude "Chats" --exclude "Emailed Contacts" \
                    --host1 $host1 --user1 $user --password1 $p1 \
                    --host2 $host2 --user2 $user2 --password2 $p2

And which file would this command go in to?

Sorry from mnichols' post I thought you were using the IMAPsync application. It looks like for your situation the following line is more relevant...
    In Leopard's Mail, select an IMAP folder that is stored on the server, and select Get Account Info (control-click on the account to see this option, or press Command-I). In the Account Info window is a Subscription List tab.
    which I found here: macosxhints.com - 10.5: Use Mail's IMAP Subscription Lists to limit Mail folders

The subscription list tab in Account Info is only for shared and public folders, not for subscribing / unsubscribing from IMAP folders so no joy with that.

*bump* *bump*

Does noone know the answer to this?

You can't. It's simple as that. That subscription pane is only for exchange servers. Either you switch mail clients or get used to the extra folders (my case).

Mail → Provide Mail Feedback... and ask them to add this *really* basic functionality.