Thread: I propose "Testing License"

Default I propose "Testing License"

I just sent a similar request via the "Contact Us" web form but thought I'd post here as well so maybe I can see what others are doing. We are a current ZCS NE customer (125 licenses) + Mobile. I am wanting to test / enable / experiment with some of the advanced features of Zimbra, but have a fear of breaking our production server in the process.
    Current Stats:
    AMD 6400 - 4 Gig - 3ware Raid 1
    running: ZCS 5.0.10 NE / Mobile on UBU 6.06 32 bit.

The server is starting to groan from time to time so I am in the process of playing musical hardware to migrate to:
    AMD 6400 - 8 Gig - 3ware RAID 10
    ZCS NE 5.0.10 NE / Mobile on UBU 8.04 64 bit.

I'd love to have a 5-10 user test license that is mine to experiment with for the duration of my paid subscription. I'm aware of the trial version, but sometimes I might have a month go by in between times I can test / play with features.

I'd sure love to go thru the RAID setup and test additional features on a "test" machine before the "production" server gives me the "ALL YOUR MAILBOX ARE BELONG TO US" error and everyone is calling on a Monday saying "My e-mail isn't working" that has to be in the top 10 of the four worst words an admin wants to hear.
    Work
    8.0.3 UBUNTU10_04 UBUNTU10_04 NETWORK

Home
    8.0.3 UBUNTU10_04 UBUNTU10_04 FOSS

Have you ever tried installing Zimbra on another machine and using your same license for testing purposes?

Default Haven't tried that

Thanks for the iresponse.. Didn't want to break any rules. I guess then, that the license number isn't restricted to or associated with the domain or host that it is registered with?

Ideally to avoid DNS / Firewall Port forwarding issues, I would need to set this up on a totally different domain using a firewall with a different route to the Internet so as not to disturb mail functionality of the production server.

Have you tried this? Outcome?

Thanks,
    David
    Work

Home

Network Edition Customer are granted use of their license on any development, testing, and planning server they need.

It is not against the rules.

The only violation would be if you put that server into production, resulting in two servers in production.

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Network Edition Customer are granted use of their license on any development, testing, and planning server they need.
    Great - that means I could theoretically get the new server duplicated from the old, change the key settings such as IP, Domain, and let her rip.

In preperation for my upcoming migration I just updated to 5.0.10 on the existing server, installed 5.0.10 on the new, only to get the announcement that 5.0.11 is now available. Great news on the IMAP junk folder!

Peace,
    David
    Work

Home