Thread: Folder Maintenance

Default Folder Maintenance

Sorry if I've missed this in the documentation or the archives, but I don't see how as administrator I can recover or move mail folders. For example:

1) Moving from one user to another ("Barbara is our new receptionist, can you please copy Andrea's old mail to a folder in her account?")

2) Recovering a deleted folder ("I accidentally deleted my 'Accounting' folder sometime last week, can you please pull the latest copy you have from the backup?"

With cyrus I could just copy the appropriate directories and run 'recover'. I don't see how to this in Zimbra short of running imapsync for 1) or recovering the entire account from backup (and guessing which backup is correct) for 2). Am I missing something? Thanks!
    Scott Hanson
    Media Ventures GmbH
    Cologne, Germany

Using backup/restore you can restore a mailbox to another account. At this time the back/restore is on the mailbox level. So you can just restore it to a new mailbox and let the user get anything they want, or you can do the copy for them. Easiest way to do this is have both accounts mapped in an IMAP client and you can drag n drop the messages/folders you want to copy or move.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Good to know I wasn't missing anything In our case the offices are connected with only 2 MBit SDSL to the Zimbra server, so a desktop IMAP client for moving Mailboxes >500 MB isn't too practical.

Are IMAP actions like moving or deleting folders logged anyplace, so I can figure out which incremental backup to use (in case the user isn't sure when the folder was deleted)?
    Last edited by shanson; 04-10-2006 at 12:15 AM.
    Scott Hanson
    Media Ventures GmbH
    Cologne, Germany

They are logged but only at the debug level, which we don't recommend for production installs.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.