Thread: [SOLVED] Rename, redirect or ???

Default [SOLVED] Rename, redirect or ???

I have a minor problem with my zimbra setup. The server's name is zimbra.mydomain.com however when the initial zimbra install was done the server was named zmail.mydomain.com. At a later point a migration was done to a newer physical machine and the hostname name was changed. The DNS info was left the same as the final step of that migration was the ip switch. All seemed to be ok.

However:

Most of our users reach the server using the old name in DNS which is no longer the hostname of the machine. Things like sending documents from the wiki or briefcase etc break down because the links are looking for zimbra.mydomain.com instead of the address that they are logged into zmail.mydomain.com or for some localnet users simply zmail.

When I am in the Documents tab I am unable to get into the notebooks because all of the links reference the fqdn.

Is there a way to redirect connections to the real fqdn? So when someone connects from one of the invalid names or even the ip address they are redirected to the real name?

Or should we keep the fqdn of the server the same as the dns record to access it?

Or....any suggestions?

I have found a fix in another thread here. I am using 5.0.10 and zimbraPublicServiceHostname didn't exist. I changed it and my trouble went away.

zmprov md domain.com zimbraPublicServiceHostname mail.domain.com
    As long as 'mail' has a proper DNS entry to point at the server both internally and externally. In 5.0.9+ REST URL's are composed of 3 attributes: zimbraPublicService[Protocol + Hostname + Port] to avoid dependency on zimbraServer objects.