Thread: Subdomains and catchalls

Default Subdomains and catchalls

Hi, I'm hoping for some help here. We are new to Zimbra and we have just installed 5.11 for use in a development environment.

What we need to do is setup several subdomains and catchall accounts. The primary domain is company.com and we need to be able to have sub1.company.com and sub2.company.com domains that Zimbra will accept mail for and then deliver that mail to catchall_1@company.com. We would also like to have the ability to have users who get mail destined for user1@sub1.company.com delivered to their user1@company.com mailbox.

Is this possible? We have the Community Edition of ZCS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Indeed it is ... point the MX records of the sub-domains at your ZCS server. Setup the sub domains through the Admin GUI. You can then use zmprov at the command line to create a catch all for the tld.domain.com to go too user@domain.com.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should be aware that adding a catchall account to your server will bea boon to spammers, any rubbish they send you will end up in the catchall accounts.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks guys. I'll try this out. Spammers won't be an issue for this case because this server is only in a guarded subnet and will not send or receive external email.

Would it be possible to wildcard the subdomains so that anything.company.com was accepted and then my catchall could apply? I ask this because the application we have sends emails to tens of thousands of users at virtually any domain, and the developers here are going to modify the database entries for the email addresses in our test environment so that an address that was originally joe_smith@yahoo.com would be transformed in our database/app to joe_smith@yahoo.company.com (our ZCS box handles company.com). Then we would have a catch-all that takes these emails and sends them to bigbox@company.com so that the business analysts and developers can login to the ZCS webmail interface and review the email content, formatting, etc. for QA and further development.

So it would be great if our ZCS could take mail destined to *.company.com or *@*.company.com and deliver it to our catch-all mailbox, bigbox@company.com.

jsmith@yahoo.company.com
    roy@gmail.company.com
    sandy_jones@comcast.company.com
    ... and on and on.... should all be accepted and delivered to bigbox@company.com.

Bump....
    Any possibility of wildcarding this?

Does anyone know if wildcarding as I described above can be done? Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Clay