Thread: [SOLVED] Power failure: zimbra wont restart, sudo is corrupt?

Default [SOLVED] Power failure: zimbra wont restart, sudo is corrupt?

Running Zimbra community edition, I installed it around 3 months ago and it was the latest at the time. (Sorry I can't give exact version number i'm not sure how to get that information)

I'm running it on top of Ubuntu 8.04.

The server was running fine until one hour ago. A power out here caused the server to hard reset. When I powered the server back on, zimbra was not running. when I tried to manually start, with either: su - zimbra; zmcontrol start or /etc/init.d/zimbra start

The service asks me for a password: Starting ldap...[sudo] password for zimbra:

I try to input various passwords but nothing works. Another interesting thing: my main user on the Ubuntu server is unable to execute things as root. (ie with sudo) Every time I try, I get the message:

Sorry, user myuser is not allowed to execute 'mycommand' as root on mydomain

A quick google search revealed that LDAP was mentioned an awful lot in relation to this kind of problem. I'm thinking this is the only thing that could have caused the apparent corruption of sudo like this as I have never had such a problem using my several other Ubuntu servers.

I had tried editing the /etc/group (neither my main user or zimbra were in the admin group so I added them) and I tried running sudo adduser zimbra as root but it told me zimbra was already a member.

Anyone seen this before? any advice would be appreciated as my mail server is currently totally dead.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dash86no; 12-21-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: edited Ubuntu server edition from 8.10 to 8.04, added (ie with sudo) for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by dash86no View Post
    Running Zimbra community edition, I installed it around 3 months ago and it was the latest at the time. (Sorry I can't give exact version number i'm not sure how to get that information)

I'm running it on top of Ubuntu 8.04.

The server was running fine until one hour ago. A power out here caused the server to hard reset. When I powered the server back on, zimbra was not running. when I tried to manually start, with either: su - zimbra; zmcontrol start or /etc/init.d/zimbra start

The service asks me for a password: Starting ldap...[sudo] password for zimbra:

I try to input various passwords but nothing works. Another interesting thing: my main user on the Ubuntu server is unable to execute things as root. (ie with sudo) Every time I try, I get the message:

Sorry, user myuser is not allowed to execute 'mycommand' as root on mydomain

A quick google search revealed that LDAP was mentioned an awful lot in relation to this kind of problem. I'm thinking this is the only thing that could have caused the apparent corruption of sudo like this as I have never had such a problem using my several other Ubuntu servers.

I had tried editing the /etc/group (neither my main user or zimbra were in the admin group so I added them) and I tried running sudo adduser zimbra as root but it told me zimbra was already a member.

Anyone seen this before? any advice would be appreciated as my mail server is currently totally dead.

Thanks.
    Fixed this. Maybe it was an Ubuntu problem.

Uninstalled sudo with apt-get purge sudo then reinstalled with apt-get install sudo

Added zimbra to sudo with: adderuser zimbra admin

Restarted computer and Zimbra came up just fine.

Strange.....

Glad to hear you resolved it, I've not seen that issue happen before.

As a quick 'fyi' you can get the version number from the console by running zmcontrol -v as the zimbra user.