Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: [SOLVED] Incorrect message counter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    9

    Default [SOLVED] Incorrect message counter

    Hi there,
    I found one of the inbox message counter display incorrectly. see attached screen shot. actual total message count is 2781 but display inbox has 15052 messages. I am using open source zimbra version 5.0.9. Does any one has the same problem? I tried rebuild mailbox index but didn't correct the problem. how to fix it?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Park City, KS
    Posts
    342
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I have this same thing on some of my users that run Outlook 2000 via imap. When they delete something, it doesn't delete, it just gets crossed out and "marked for delete". However, the counter in webmail totals up wrong because it's still counting those "deleted" messages. If they go under "Edit" and click "Purge deleted messages", those crossed out emails go away and the counters match up again.

    I'm not sure if this is the same sort of thing you're up against, but maybe something to look at.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Easton PA
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Any update on this? I'm seeing something similar.

    I have a zmmailbox search vs. getFolder count discrepancy too be more specific. So a listing of the inbox contains 20 messages but a request for folder data reports 50 messages:

    > zmmailbox -z -m $user search 'in:inbox'
    search 'in:inbox'
    num: 20, more: false
    ...
    > zmmailbox -z -m $user getFolder inbox
    {
    "id": "2",
    "name": "Inbox",
    "path": "/Inbox",
    "parentId": "1",
    "flags": "u",
    "color": "defaultColor",
    "unreadCount": 2,
    "messageCount": 50,
    "view": "message",
    "url": null,
    "effectivePermissions": null
    }

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Have you tried re-indexing the mailbox from the Admin GUI ? Alternatively you can do it from the command line using
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov rim <user@domain.com> start

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Easton PA
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re-index produced no change

    Yes, I did re-index the inbox but it didn't change anything. This user's inbox is the only set of messages that have this problem. Any other ideas?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,017
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Have they connected to the mailbox using a fat client like Thunderbird/Outlook ? If so they will need to expunge the account as the IMAP count has become out of sync.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Easton PA
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    uxbod,

    Yes, that was the fix. I asked the user if she had done that but she didn't know. I ended up making an IMAP connection myself with Thunderbird and then right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Compact this Folder". This then corrected the count. After "zmmailbox -z -m" I see that "getFolder inbox" returns a different number.

    Thank you,
    John

Similar Threads

  1. Message disappears between MTA and mailbox server
    By andrew_l in forum Administrators
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM
  2. Emails bouncing with "Error Text: 401,'null'"
    By sholden in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 05:59 PM
  3. Message Counts Incorrect
    By chewblocka in forum Migration
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 03:00 AM
  5. Incorrect New Message Count
    By andreychek in forum Administrators
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 02:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •