Thread: Zimbra 5.x and the SSL/TSL Certificate

Threaded View

Default Zimbra 5.x and the SSL/TSL Certificate

Hey all, newb on deck- I have a multi-parter...

First, I've done some nosing around the net to find any USEFUL resource that can explain the relevance of the SSL/TSL Certificate 'Self-generated vs. External' (verisign, thawte, startcom, etc). If anyone knows of an educational piece on this I would be grateful. I'm really only interested in SSL/TSL as it applies to email and what's required by the IMAP-related entries in the RFC's. To further refine, what Zimbra works best with.

Second, I've already started a relationship with Startcom. They are an Israeli ISP that makes their own linux distro and gives away freebie SSL/TSL certificates.

a) why would anyone want to get a certificate from an outside source when they could gen one of their own?

b) what's the effective difference in getting one from Startcom as opposed to a Verisign? (besides a comfort level) and

c) are there SSL/TSL Certs that Zimbra has a problem with? I noticed that there were no results returned when I entered Startcom into the search field. I'm wondering if I'm so new at this that Startcom is taking me for a ride and everyone else is smart enough not to deal with them. I can't imagine I'm the first one to stumble on them?!?!

If there's a better place for this let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    todd_dsm

Don't forget to Vote for this RFE:
    RFE: A place To Display the contents of 'My Documents'
    Reasoning: It's new, bold, and cool.
    Last edited by todd_dsm; 10-08-2010 at 10:54 AM.