Well, I resolved this problem by resorting to a VM that I had backed up before attempting the upgrade (I just pause the VMware Server VM, then copy directory contents of that VM, then unpause the VM). Therefore I was able to get back to a running zimbra server at 3.0.0_GA_156.
Today, I downloaded the latest 3.1.0_GA_332 release for FC4. I ran through the exact same steps. I ran into the exact same issues:
1) First run through -- install.sh bombs out on the following:
2) Second run through of install.sh -- LDAP complains about attr vs attrs (I posted bug #7212 for this) and some "no data for entry id=01000000". The install.sh then bombs out towards the end when attempting to connect to LDAP. It then ends by dropping me into the "Main Menu" and putting asteriks next to "Web server HTTP port" and "Web server HTTPS port"
Restoring existing configuration file from /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save...done
Operations logged to /tmp/zmsetup.log.1718
Setting defaults...Setting defaults from existing config...Done
Upgrading from 3.0.0_GA_156 to 3.1.0_GA_332
Mon Apr 17 13:01:24 2006: Stopping zimbra services
Mon Apr 17 13:01:31 2006: Checking mysql status
Mon Apr 17 13:01:32 2006: Starting mysql
Mon Apr 17 13:01:34 2006: SELECT value FROM config WHERE name = 'db.version'
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock' (2)
Error while running '/opt/zimbra/bin/mysql --user=zimbra --password=S9yR7FHan2WYeCmnHLsrazrBU1wtuSHt --database=zimbra --batch --skip-column-names'. at /opt/zimbra/libexec/scripts/Migrate.pm line 134.
3) Finally, I fall back to my 3.0.0_GA_156 release since it seems to work just fine (except for graphs and things in my admin UI, which I've seen forum posts on. But I just haven't had time to modify my cron entries).
Backing up ldap
/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 66: "attr" is deprecated (and undocumented); use "attrs" instead.
/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 73: "attr" is deprecated (and undocumented); use "attrs" instead.
/opt/zimbra/conf/slapd.conf: line 87: "attr" is deprecated (and undocumented); use "attrs" instead.
bdb_db_open: Warning - No DB_CONFIG file found in directory /opt/zimbra/openldap-data: (2)
Expect poor performance for suffix .
<= entry_decode: slap_str2undef_ad(e): AttributeDescription contains inappropriate characters
# no data for entry id=01000000
..... some more install.sh output and then...
Setting defaults from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: hail.networkpenguin.com) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: unable to lookup server by name: hail.networkpenguin.com) (cause: javax.naming.NamingException [LDAP: error code 80 - internal error])
4) I don't know where to go from here. If this seems to be only happening to me, then I guess its an issue that I have to deal with. But it seems to me that a few people have had this issue with at least 2 different older versions of zimbra's open source edition attempting to upgrade to 3.1. And since all my DNS entries are responding appropriately with the correct name, my hostname resolves correctly and is set in my /etc/hosts file appropriately, I'm assuming that this is a bug that will get ironed out eventually. My next step is to search through the forum to find a post about exporting users and user data so that I can possibly export my data, then install a completely fresh VM, install zimbra 3.1 and then import my users, user attrs, and user data.