Thread: sync emails between two zimbra.

Default sync emails between two zimbra.

Hi...

I have a setup with 2 zimbra one on production an other as a backup... and i want to sync the emails with imapsync...

On the server on production my store is 80GB aprox-- So the first time i run the imapsync it works great.... but the secont time it started to sync more than the original server... i mean the store of the second zimbra (backup) were 92GB.... so.. i do not understand what is going wrong...

I use imapsync in this way:

imapsync --host1 ${ORIG_HOST} \
    --port1 ${ORIG_PORT} \
    --user1 ${USER} \
    --authuser1 ${ORIG_ADMIN} \
    --password1 ${ORIG_PASS} \
    --host2 ${DEST_HOST} \
    --port2 ${DEST_PORT} \
    --user2 ${USER} \
    --authuser2 ${DEST_ADMIN} \
    --password2 ${DEST_PASS} \
    --syncinternaldates \
    --syncacls \
    --subscribe \
    --expunge2 \
    --delete2 \
    --buffersize 102914560

somebody has any idea?

Thanks

Michael.-

Have a look at automating ZimbraBlog :: ZCS too ZCS Migrations as that would work pretty well.

When I initially set up my mail server and transferred off my old courier imap server I got duplicates with imapsync. I'd check and see how your emails are syncing. In my case I had duplicates of all the folders inside of the Inbox as well as outside of it. It made a difference in the size for sure.

Also, I have been working on a way to do individual account syncs for the purpose of archiving. It moves the whole user account, calendar, mail and all. Well, all except the user account data, things like address, name, and such.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

Hence using internal tools to import and export.

Ok, i will check that...

But for that i need to delete all messages for all the users in all their folders...

I was trying this:

Setting the zimbraMailMessageLifetime: 1d to all accounts in the server.... and then changed the date and nothing happend.. i restarted the server and nothing happend...

So my question is... when this will be execute?

Thanks again!

Zimbra has shared blobs(messages), meaning if an internal user sends mail to multiple users on the Zimbra server then only one copy is kept on the server. This mail is delivered via LMTP, and the server is smart enough to figure it out on it's own.

When you're IMAP Syncing, you're bypassing the MTA, thus there are no shared blobs. The server does not analyze messages when doing IMAP (which is why AntiVirus and SPAM checks are also bypassed).

In other words, on the former Zimbra server, if employee "A" sends 1 message to 100 other employees on the same mailbox server at a cost of 1.2k, then the total usage cost is 1.2k. When you IMAP sync that, the total cost of that one message to 100 other people now becomes 120k on the destination server.

All the best,
    john

Ok, thanks for the reply jholder, so according that you have said I have to be quiet if the store of the backup server is bigger than the production one because there is not email duplicated?

And I think that the storage of the backup server will grow up every time that i run the sync....

Michael.-

Hi Michael-
    the store of the backup server is bigger than the production one because there is not email duplicated?
    Should be: It will be larger than production because emails are duplicated.

The rate at which it will grow is totally dependent on how often users send mail locally, and how large they are.

It's not a bad idea, but just make sure your backup has roughly 2x or 1.5x more storage space.

Hi jholder...

Sorry, but i am trying to figure out this..

What you are saying will only happend with internals mails, and they could be duplicated (They could, not sure)...

If emails could be duplicated using imapsync--- is there any other way to do this?... I mean the sincronization between two zimbra servers?

Via Rsync the store directory? (Bad idea)

So, this will not work...

Scripts to sync to a remote Zimbra backup machine - Zimbra :: Wiki

Thanks a lot Again!

Michael.