Thread: Subdomain Mail Server - Offering Zimbra as a Premium

Default Subdomain Mail Server - Offering Zimbra as a Premium

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

If a company has an existing mail server, mail.example.com which has MX records to receive all mail for example.com. Company would like to set up zimbra.example.com as a premium e-mail solution for select accounts. A records are created for zimbra.example.com and corresponding MX records, as well.

mail.example.com then sets up a forwarding rule for all accounts who wish to use the premium service, forwarding all mail to user@zimbra.example.com

On the Zimbra box, a domain for zimbra.example.com is created. Reply to address for user is set to user@example.com, even though their username is user@zimbra.example.com

--------------

This has crappy limitations:
    - Its sloppy
    - Can't set from e-mail address in Zimbra, so even though the reply to address is user@example.com the from address is still user@zimbra.example.com. Thats unacceptable.
    - Forwarding must manually be set.

What are the EASY alternatives / improvements ?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by ewebzone; 01-29-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Even though your server FQDN is zimbra.example.com you can add a additional domain in the Admin GUI for example.com which means you can then set the reply to as @example.com. Exactly how I do it here

But since the user base is split between 2 mail servers --- if I would add example.com to the Zimbra server, if a user on Zimbra would e-mail user@example.com, and 'user' doesn't have a Zimbra account (their mail server is mail.example.com) -- Zimbra will attempt to deliver the message locally.

That's the problem. Is there a way to tell Zimbra to not deliver the messages locally for example.com, and that they should always be directed to mail.example.com

Default Routing between main domain and sub-domains on separate servers

i have something a little similar to this, i have 3 zimbra boxes that are working , i installed the second one yesterday,

my main domain.com is the main server that receives all the mails for the whole company at the HQ because thats where we have a faster net connection. so i have another regions with their own mail servers fin.domain.com and mat.domain.com, the other two are sub-domains of the domain.com, all the three resolve to the same Public IP .

so the server at the main site is the local DNS Master with 3 zones, the domain.com.zone , fin.domain.com.zone and mat.domain.com.zone, if i send emails from the 2 sub-domains to the main domain the email goes ok, if i try to send to the sud-domains themselves they cannot see each other even though locally they are OK, so i went on to the main server which is kind of the gateway and tried to send the the sub-domains then i realized that the main domain does not forward the message to the other two servers,
    sending to yahoo.com from the sub-domains is OK but if i reply the mail comes to the main server and sits there, after a while 10 mins i will get a notification from the yahoo account saying no recipients with that name etc.

i am suspecting the DNS and A records in my zones CentOS5, but if i do nslookup fin.domain.com on the main server it gives me the private IP 192.168.20.1 which is the correct one for the fin.domain.com server.

help!
    buggz