Thread: amavisd environment (avast! problem)

Hybrid View

Default amavisd environment (avast! problem)

Hi

I've installed avast! antivirus as a compliment to clamav and other internal scanners. avast requires a license file to be placed in ~/.avast . My question is, which user will execute the scanner? I thought it would be the zimbra user but still it doesn't work according to log files. Perhaps the user environment at the time that amavis execute does not have the correct home path? Any ideas?

blh.

Welcome to the forums

Just run the install as root ... Amavis should pick up the scanner just fine. If it does not then check /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in and look for the avast section. I cannot remember but you may have to unhash the section for it to be picked up. Once you have done that restart ZCS so that amavisd.conf get written correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Welcome to the forums

Just run the install as root ... Amavis should pick up the scanner just fine. If it does not then check /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in and look for the avast section. I cannot remember but you may have to unhash the section for it to be picked up. Once you have done that restart ZCS so that amavisd.conf get written correctly.
    Thank you! And thank you for a great product!

I've tried to both install the license file as root and as zimbra but still it is not found when amavis runs avast. However, it works when i run avast manually as root or zimbra, thats why I thought it might be an environmental problem when the amavis script is running..

blh.

Okay, so as in my previous post please check /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in for the section about avast!. It may well be commented out.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Okay, so as in my previous post please check /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in for the section about avast!. It may well be commented out.
    I've checked it and i know from before that I've removed the comment. This is however the error message I get:

Code:
    Feb  4 10:23:05 mx03 amavis[17485]: (17485-08) (!!)run_av (avast! Antivirus) FAILED - unexpected exit 21, output="Couldn't find a registration key in ~/.avast/avastrc file!\nPlease register avast! at http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG\nto get the key.\nNOTE: if avast! rejects the key, remove ~/.avast/avastrc file and\nrun this script again with a valid key.\n\nPlease enter the key here:\n\n\nNo license key found.\nPlease run the GUI version (avastgui) and enter your license key.\n"
    Feb  4 10:23:05 mx03 amavis[17485]: (17485-08) (!!)avast! Antivirus av-scanner FAILED: /usr/bin/avast unexpected exit 21, output="Couldn't find a registration key in ~/.avast/avastrc file!\nPlease register avast! at http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG\nto get the key.\nNOTE: if avast! rejects the key, remove ~/.avast/avastrc file and\nrun this script again with a valid key.\n\nPlease enter the key here:\n\n\nNo license key found.\nPlease run the GUI version (avastgui) and enter your license key.\n" at (eval 75) line 511.

Will check my install tonight ... so please be patient unless somebody else knows.

What version of Avast! did you install ? was it the Linux server version ? If the file is called License.dat then see if you have a directory called /var/lib/avast4 and put the file in there. The correct directory can be checked by looking in /etc/avastd.conf and search for the word license.

Have you resolved your issue now ?