Thread: Zimbra and Evolution (do we need connector)

Default Zimbra and Evolution (do we need connector)

Some Zimbra users at our organization are being migrated to Linux. The most user-friendly email client at this moment is Evolution, since it's very similar to outlook 2003.
    We have installed a machine with Ubuntu 8.10 in order to start testing with linux. Evo is configured as IMAP client, Calendar access works perfect via CalDAV and Free/busy also works like a charm.
    However we have two problemas: Contacts and GAL.

GAL problem has been solved by accessing vía LDAP. There are some problems in EVO with SSL access, but there should be no problem if we replicate LDAP to a non-SSL one for email address checking only.
    Contacts, however, remains as a problem. We have exported Contacts as csv and imported into Evo, but this is not a good procedure for our users. And we have not found documentation about accesing contacts via WebDav (we can access to mail folders but contacts folder is not processed by Evo).

Any hint for contacts sync with Evo?

P.D: Evo connector has not been evaluated since it appear there are no plans to continue supporting it, or at least this is what we have concluded reading SF.net trackers.

P.D.1: Zimbra Desktop at this moment is also being tested, although is a heavy-loader for machines and it does not have integration with Gnome apps in Linux.

Thanks in advance.

Default Evolution: CalDAV yes, Free/Busy doesn't work though

Hi, I'm interested in how you have Evolution configured to see Free/Busy information. It does not work for me, however Thunderbird/Lightning does work with CalDAV and shows Free/Busy.

I'm using the following location in the properties of the Evolution CalDAV calendar that is on our Zimbra server.

https://mx1.domains4U.com/dav/luser1...U.com/Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by hspcd View Post
    Hi, I'm interested in how you have Evolution configured to see Free/Busy information. It does not work for me, however
    It's quite easy:

Use this URL as base for Free/Busy Template in Evo.
    http://servername/zimbra/home/%u@%d/...art=0d&end=60d

Inigoml,
    Thanks so much. This works great.

Perhaps this is a limitation in Evolution but I can see Free/Busy when creating the initial meeting but not when editing it, for example to add other participants.

But we still need support for Contacts / GAL in Evolution<>Zimbra; I rarely boot Windows and although I'm not too fond of "Outlook Clones", Evolution does a good job and would be the client of choice whenever we roll out a Linux environment for a given customer.

-joho