Thread: Searching Contacts

Default Searching Contacts

I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, I've searched the forums but not found anything like this. When trying to search my Contacts the search does not work. I've read the posts about using a wildcard, but a straight wildcard returns nothing. Using a vowel (a,e,i,o,u) and a wildcard returns nothing (which should work since vowels are pretty common in names). The only thing I can enter into the search is the letter "e" then I get back 3 names (it should be much more). This is pretty agravating since it makes it almost impossible to send an e-mail to multiple users. Also when running a search against my contacts I sometimes get this error;

msg - system failure: org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$TooManyClaus es
    com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException: system failure: org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$TooManyClaus es
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.ServiceException.FAILURE(Ser viceException.java:131)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:266)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:163)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:228)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:154)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Caused by: org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$TooManyClaus es
    at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.add(BooleanQ uery.java:79)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.add(BooleanQ uery.java:71)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.PrefixQuery.rewrite(Prefi xQuery.java:50)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(Bool eanQuery.java:228)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(Bool eanQuery.java:243)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.rewrite(Ind exSearcher.java:166)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.Query.weight(Query.java:8 4)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(Inde xSearcher.java:117)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.jav a:64)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:51)
    at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher. java:41)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.LuceneQueryOperation.runSearch (LuceneQueryOperation.java:258)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.LuceneQueryOperation.getNextRe sultsChunk(LuceneQueryOperation.java:161)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.DBQueryOperation.getNextChunk( DBQueryOperation.java:880)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.DBQueryOperation.peekNext(DBQu eryOperation.java:439)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.QueryOperation.hasNext(QueryOp eration.java:172)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.ItemPreloadingGrouper.bufferHi ts(ItemPreloadingGrouper.java:61)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.BufferingResultsGrouper.peekNe xt(BufferingResultsGrouper.java:83)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.UngroupedQueryResults.peekNext (UngroupedQueryResults.java:62)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.ZimbraQueryResultsImpl.hasNext (ZimbraQueryResultsImpl.java:69)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.HitIdGrouper.bufferHits(HitIdG rouper.java:67)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.BufferingResultsGrouper.getNex t(BufferingResultsGrouper.java:103)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.ResultsPager.forward(ResultsPa ger.java:170)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.ResultsPager.<init>(ResultsPag er.java:117)
    at com.zimbra.cs.index.ResultsPager.create(ResultsPag er.java:64)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.mail.Search.handle(Search.ja va:93)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:255)
    ... 21 more

code - service.FAILURE
    method - ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke
    detail - soap:Receiver

It seems to coincide with Wildcard searches, anyone got a fix?

What are you using for a wildcard. "k" works for me as does "k*". This is in the contacts picker that shows during compose if you click "TO:". Where are you searching and what is the exact search strings you've tried?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Contacts search

I'm using the contacts picker (the "to" button on a new e-mail), I've used the following search strings

*@
    *@*
    @*
    a
    s
    r
    *a
    *e
    *i
    *o
    *u
    a*
    e*
    i*
    o*
    u*
    a
    e
    i
    o
    u

the only strings that returned anything were the "e" and the "o", the "e" returned 3 entries the "o" returned 1, they should be returning much more. Searching the GAL seems to work fine, but there are only about 6 entries so its hard to tell.

Ok got it. I was testing GAL search and not local contacts. For local contacts I get the exception your talking about if the search is too vague ie "k*" but two letters work fine so like "ke*". The exception seems like a bug.

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7281
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default searching contacts

I wanted a vague search that would return all my contacts so that I could pick out the contacts that would go on the e-mail. Do you have any suggestions as to how I might get that result. It may not occur to me to send someone a particular e-mail unless I see their name. Any thoughts?

For the GAL you can search on . (dot) but that won't work for contacts. I'd suggest filing a bug to add something similar for contacts.