Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blackberry access

Default blackberry access

Hi,

One of our customer would like to access mails through blackberry. They already have signed up with their service provider and it is possible that they can use mails through blackberry with POP3 account of zimbra. So our legal team just wanted confirm can we use open source zimbra version for this or is there any condition for such a setup. Our customer will be using the service provider - telcos Blackberry Internet Services server.

Please reply and confirm if any concerns.

Thanks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can access the mail on your server by any means you like. Your customer would be better using IMAP as he'll be less likely to 'lose' email.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks bill for the confirmation.

I just set up a Verizon BIS to a POP account on Zimbra yesterday, and my Zimbra server is configured to only accept SSL connections for POP and SMTP. It connected right up without a hitch. So as long as your telco provider has BIS you're going to be just fine with FOSS Zimbra.
    Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your inputs..

One more doubt i have.... when we access mails through blackberry through above mentioned setup then is it possible to have below features ? :

1. Contact address sharing while using Blackberry
    2. Calendar sync while using Blackberry
    3. check for speed & attachments download while using Blackberry.

do i need to perform any steps on zimbra server ?
    Or i need to ask above question to blackberry service provider ?

I have never worked on blackberry mail configuration...so pls suggest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chandu View Post
    One more doubt i have.... when we access mails through blackberry through above mentioned setup then is it possible to have below features ? :

1. Contact address sharing while using Blackberry
    2. Calendar sync while using Blackberry
    3. check for speed & attachments download while using Blackberry.

do i need to perform any steps on zimbra server ?
    Or i need to ask above question to blackberry service provider ?

I have never worked on blackberry mail configuration...so pls suggest.

Thanks
    If you want to sync anything other than email on a Zimbra server then you need the Network Edition of ZImbra. If you want to use the BES connector then you also need a Windows server, check the BES documentation for details. .
    Regards

Bill

Chandu, without repeating what Bill said, he's absolutely right. You can't get there with a FOSS Zimbra installation.

IMHO this is one reason, if people really want all the gizmos in a smartphone connected to their Zimbra, they should either (1) get a Windows Mobile phone like the Motorola Q and connect it via IMAP and LDAP, or (2) just ditch the smartphone idea and use the excellent mobile-device webmail page on Zimbra itself, with a proper HTML browser on their phone.

But I couldn't convince my salesman of this. . .he had already been convinced by some neighbors that the only cool thing in the world is a Blackberry, and intelligence never trumps cool. . .

Of course I don't use either one; I use an LG env2 with IMAP connections to my server. It's bare-bones but it does what I need. . .
    Cheers,

Dan

Hey Dan ..thanks for info....

Our new client already using blackberry and they have Exchange server.

I havnet get enough information that do they have BES server or not ...if they have it then they must be able to sync all reqired things ...

We are facing major issue now..

1. We are using open source zimbra so we are not able to sync calender/address book task with microsoft outlook/outlook express without zimbra outlook connector ...
    2. We dont have BES connector so we can not sync those things through blackberry also.

I had talk with Airtel tech person and he inform if we use BIS then also there is a another way to sync calender / contact through Microsoft outlook to blackberry ...but in our case outlook itself doesnt sync those things.

So now i have two questions :-
    1. Is there any way to sync calender / contact between open source zimbra and Microsoft outlook without zimbra outlook connector ??
    2. When we send / recevie mail through blackberry POP3 account through Blackberry internet server then will it store in zimbra mail server ??
    I mean whatever mail communication user will do through blackberry ..will they able to see those mails in their outlook inbox and sent items ???

( Please correct me if I am wrong )

Our client already using all these feature without any trouble . and they want all these features from us after migration. Otherwise there are chances to loose the contract ...

Please help.

Thanks
    Last edited by chandu; 02-25-2009 at 08:16 PM.

The simple answer is: to sync Outlook Calendar/Contacts with Zimbra you'll need the NE version of Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

So now i have two questions :-
    1. Is there any way to sync calender / contact between open source zimbra and Microsoft outlook without zimbra outlook connector ??
    No. This is a feature of the NE version of Zimbra only. ZOC is not available for FOSS Zimbra.

2. When we send / recevie mail through blackberry POP3 account through Blackberry internet server then will it store in zimbra mail server ??
    I mean whatever mail communication user will do through blackberry ..will they able to see those mails in their outlook inbox and sent items ???
    No, if you want your mail to show in the inbox and outbox of Zimbra, you have to use IMAP, not POP. By its very definition POP clears out its messages when they are received. IF you set up POP to the Blackberry so that it does not delete messages from the server, then have your Zimbra client be the desktop mail package (or another IMAP or POP client on the desktop) then incoming messages can be stored both places (though deleting them from either one will not affect their existence on the other). However for sent messages, the ONLY way you can have a copy of sent messages from your Blackberry going to your Zimbra server would be if you have Blackberry automatically cc your user on every message sent. Then you can set up a filter rule on Zimbra that takes any message sent by the user and cc'ed to the user and moves it into a "sent" folder (or any other folder you want).

But to have true folder integration, you must have Zimbra NE, and either BIS or BES on the blackberry side. There is no low-budget way to do this.
    Cheers,

Dan