Thread: re-IP of Zimbra box

Default re-IP of Zimbra box

I've had a couple people ask me how to change the IP address of a Zimbra box; here's a tidbit originally from MarcMac.

We're using iptables for port redirection. This allows us to start the various server processes on non-privileged ports.

Consequently, after you re-ip the box, you need to run the following commands:

As zimbra:
    zmcontrol shutdown

As root:
    zmiptables -u
    zmiptables -i

As zimbra:
    zmcontrol startup

- Ari
    Last edited by KevinH; 10-06-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Default iptables question

I just installed zimbra using the FC3 binary on a FC4 box. It was wiped, and it currently has FC4 and Zimbra, and nothing else. I originally had the ip as 192.168.1.104, and I changed the ip to 192.168.1.3, and then followed your instructions for updating the zimbra iptables rulesets. Now, when I start the zimbra server using zmcontrol start, I get the following message:

Code:
    Response:(Zimbra::Mon::serviceInfo)
        host
             ip         192.168.1.3
             name    mail.(mydomain).com
    I am perplexed. Is this a message that makes any sense to someone? I have searched for the message in the documentation and in the forums, but I haven't seen anyone else with this message.

Some additional information:

When I start up the server using zmcontrol start, the zimbra log adds this message:

Code:
    Oct 28 13:55:03 mail Zimbramon[10952]: 10952:info Process 2375 not found - removing /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/FIFO/zm.pid
    Last edited by codecoward; 10-28-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Seems the pid got mixed up there. Can you run "ps -ef | grep zimbra" to see what processes have started?

Default Boy do I feel sheepish...

Ok, I am not the smartest tool in the toolshed... I forgot that I had change my ip with ifconfig, but then I never went in and changed the ipcfg-eth0 file, so when I kept doing zmiptables - i then -u, it would change the ip back in the iptables file to 192.168.1.104...

I guess this is just a good thing to check at first. Make sure that your ip address is set permanently... and that your iptables file is showing the correct address.

Thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by ari
    I've had a couple people ask me how to change the IP address of a Zimbra box; here's a tidbit originally from MarcMac.

We're using iptables for port redirection. This allows us to start the various server processes on non-privileged ports.

Consequently, after you re-ip the box, you need to run the following commands:

As zimbra:
    zmcontrol shutdown

As root:
    zmiptables -u
    zmiptables -i

As zimbra:
    zmcontrol startup

- Ari
    Since M4 doesn't use zmiptables, what's the new procedure? Or does Zimbra now just pickup whatever IP you are on?

Quote Originally Posted by hofo
    Since M4 doesn't use zmiptables, what's the new procedure? Or does Zimbra now just pickup whatever IP you are on?
    It should just pick up the new IP.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.