Thread: [SOLVED] is it possible ?

Default [SOLVED] is it possible ?

We are testing all open source mail solutions for our users. I have tested latest zimbra open source version and found it very nice. Only one major limitation in this version is we can not do online backup, single mailbox backup and restore. And only offline backup is possible and it is downtime for client

So I was just thinking how we can fix this. So I have some thoughts...please let me know is it possible technically and leagally?

1. Single mailbox restore
    Get a supported copy of Zimbra (on Trial) and host it for internal use only. In any scenario where we need to recover a mailbox, connect this trial version server to the actual production mailbox storage and recover it. After this switch the Storage to the Open Source Copy of Zimbra Server.

2. Back-up of Server without shutting down the server.

Get one copy of Supported Version of Zimbra Server. Connect the storage to the Supported Version in parallel to the Open Source Version and take a back-up from the supported version. After back-up, turn down the supported version of the Zimbra Server.

Whenever, we need to take back-up, switch to storage from Open Source Server version to the Supported Version and take the back-up. After back-up is done, switch it back.

I know it must be sound fishy for you guys. But please let me know your opinion about this. I know package used for open source and network edition for same version must be different so might be it is not possible technically ….but just wanted to confirm is it possible technically? And if yes then is it legal?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums

If you require the online backup facility then purchase the NE version as the *evaluation* license will only last for a certain period of time. Why not schedule the offline backup out of hours and write this into your customer SLA ?

Hello,
    First, may I suggest choosing a better thread title in future, the title of "is it possible?" is meaningless and wont encourage people to who may have good answers for you to actually read the thread. Try to describe your question in a few words in the title, it makes the forums easier to use.

Now onto your question.

Option 1. Zimbra does not work like that, it wont work. It's also likely against the terms in the contact, if not the word of it, then definatly the spirit.

Option 2. Exactly the same answer as above, it wont work and it's trying to work around the license agreement.

If you need supported backup systems that allow single mailbox restorations then you need to purchase the NE version for your users.

There are community supported backup strategies that offer single mailbox restoration, have a search around the forum and wiki and see if any of those are helpful to you.

uxbod and Dirk,

Thanks for quick response and details. In future i will take care of subject line