Thread: Spam mail being redirected to Junk Mail folder - how to stop?

Default Spam mail being redirected to Junk Mail folder - how to stop?

Yeah, may seem a bit odd to want to stop this, but most of my clients access their emails through POP3 and as all the spam is directed to the Junk Mail folder at the moment, it ends up filling up their mail boxes as it never gets removed.

Am I right in thinking that out and out spam (i.e. from blacklists) gets deleted / bounced anyway, its only spam that may not be spam that gets delivered? At least that's how @mail worked with Spam Assassin.

So, how can I turn this action off, I don't want it delivering mail to the Junk folder or trash either, as the trash folder also had emails in it, even though they'd never used the webmail system.

Hmmm ... Not sure whether this is possible or not. Why can't your users pull the mail from the Junk folder via POP3 ? Also, emails will not automatically get moved to the Deleted folder so are you sure they have not moved them there ?

The deleted items, I didn't know if Zimbra deletes them out of the spam folder after a set period.

As for the Junk folder, its not pulled down via POP3, it appears only emails in the inbox are downloaded. There isn't a choice of what users download, its what the POP3 server chooses to send them!

tbh, if this isn't possible, its a major issue for us then as the majority of clients don't use the webmail system, they access it via POP3. If the only recourse is to turn spam filtering off, its a bit of a joke....

Okay this may infact be possible It is handled by zimbraMailSieveScript and they are stored in the LDAP so I am seeing if they can be tweaked; so please hang fire may take a while to dig around.

This may be a option though I have not tested it !

Reading Bug 23886 - Run spam test before user filters during message delivery you should be able to do
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov ma <user@domain.com> zimbraSpamApplyUserFilters TRUE
    which means SPAM messages will have users filters applied and not automatically moved into Junk. I may have mis-read the logic though
    Last edited by uxbod; 02-27-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Would it be acceptable to reduce the lifetime of spam and/or trash messages under Configuration:Class of Service:<class>:Advanced?

Note that by setting up different COSes, you can set the value differently for different users.

See also: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...unk-users.html

Also if I understand the original poster's request, if you really don't want server-based content-based filters but you still want to use blacklists, you can just turn them off at Configuration:Servers:<servername>:Services:Anti-Spam. This might help: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...-antispam.html

Blacklists etc. are handled under Configuration:Global Settings:MTA which is a completely distinct system.