Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help

Default Need some help

I have a Zimbra working on a server that has some sort of hardware issue (the machine randomly locks up hard, needs a power cycle to fix) Otherwise everything works great. This server is a live server so I need the data. Though I do wish the locks up would of happened before we switched over to Zimbra.

We got a new server that I'm trying to move everything over to. I read I need to keep the same hostname etc. But through my stumbling with the first server I believe I set it up incorrectly and managed to fix it through some other means. I believe my problems came with the hosts file and how it was setup and how Zimbra set itself up based on what I had in the hosts file. Somewhere after I had Zimbra I realized I messed up the hosts file and did a bunch of stuff to get zimbra working correctly. Truthfully while I have a working Zimbra server I do not believe its setup correctly and I just got lucky with it and it works fine.

Knowing more now I set up the new server "correctly" but of course when I restore the /opt/zimbra folder it doesn't work. At one point I got to where everything was working but it wasn't receiving email and I believe this was due to a new hostname on the new server. After checking the forums it said to install Zimbra again to change the hostname so it will change it everywhere. Well I ran 3.1.0 GA 332 upgrade and it doesn't ask me for that config information again and even then I wouldn't know what to set it to cause I have no idea what the bad server was set to.

My problem comes I need the data from the bad server on the new server with the new server working correctly. What would be the best way to get this done. Anyway I can get a list of setting on the old server to bring to the new server?

I can make the new server work correctly if I take the default settings but I know this do not match my old server settings. For example the old server default domain is example.com while the new server's default domain is box.example.com. The old server the admin log in name was "admin@example.com" while on the new server its "admin@box.example.com"

Would grabbing the data off the old server then unpluging it and setup the new server with the same IP address and name work?

Sorry this is a mess been fighting this for over a week and my mind is a mess. I know I really need a break from this but a randomly locking computer doesn't make my life any easier as well.

Thanks

Jay Clark

If you can install the new box with the same name and default domain, and zimbra version the restore of /opt should work. Have you tried that? Maybe you can try that and then post the errors/logs and debug from there. Doesn't seem to be in a state where we can help debug now.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Currently installing with with same IP address and name the whole works and plan on pulling the broken server off the net while doing so. Will let you know what happens after that.

Kevin,

Ok got Zimbra installed and restored an old /opt archive for testing seems like everything works but the MTA (postfix isn't running)

Currently the new server is off the network so it won't conflict with the old server. Any clue where to look to find out why the MTA/postfix doesn't start?

Once I get this solved I will run some tests and then transfer the lastest /opt/zimbra files across so I have everything upto date.

Thanks

what is the result of "sh -x ~/bin/zmmtactl status"? check in /var/log/zimbra.log for postfix logs

the /var/log/zimbra.log for the postfix part

Code:
    Apr 27 11:07:39 box zimbramon[9542]: 9542:info: Starting mta 
    Apr 27 11:07:50 box postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/conf/main.cf
    Apr 27 11:07:50 box postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
    Apr 27 11:07:50 box postfix/master[12516]: fatal: bind 0.0.0.0 port 25: Address already in use

another mta is already running. either sendmail hasn't been disabled or postfix didn't stop from before.

Quote Originally Posted by Awol View Post
    I have a Zimbra working on a server that has some sort of hardware issue (the machine randomly locks up hard, needs a power cycle to fix) Otherwise everything works great. This server is a live server so I need the data. Though I do wish the locks up would of happened before we switched over to Zimbra.
    I am having the exact same issue. The server seems to be working great, but locks up dead. I have to hold the power button in to kill it. I can't log in to check what when wrong or what gets stuck.

I do however know that this also happens when I unplug the ethernet cable. But anything else and I am out of ideas.

Is there any way of testing what the real issue is?

Thanks for any help.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

This is a rather old thread you've attached your post to. If it happens when you unplug the ethernet cable it would imply that it's not a zimbra problem does that happen if Zimbra is disabled? Which version of Zimbra? Which operating system? Anything else running on the box? Is there anything in the logs? How long has zimbra been installed, has this just started happening or just since zimbra was installed? Is you operating system completely up-to date? Does your server meet the minimum specifications for the hardware?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I am having the exact same issue. The server seems to be working great, but locks up dead. I have to hold the power button in to kill it. I can't log in to check what when wrong or what gets stuck.

I do however know that this also happens when I unplug the ethernet cable. But anything else and I am out of ideas.

Is there any way of testing what the real issue is?

Thanks for any help.

Cory, my issue was hardware I got a bad motherboard or something. Once I moved Zimbra to another machine it worked perfectly. Generally hard lockups is a sign of bad hardware or it always has been in my experience.