Thread: Canonical name for a distribution list

Default Canonical name for a distribution list

All,
    I'm getting set to move all my users to our new zimbra server but I'm running into a bit of a snag with regards to distribution lists. As a former member of the "postfix admin club" where everything is an alias, I feel that this is something I simply lack understanding in.

What I have done is created the distribution list

list@host.domain.com but I need it to have a canonical reference list@domain.com

I didn't notice an option in the configuration to do this so I must ask at the altar of the Zimbra gods for elucidation. :-D

Thanks.

Just click your mouse pointer in the box after the @ when you create the distribution list and you should get a dropdown list of your domains.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Just click your mouse pointer in the box after the @ when you create the distribution list and you should get a dropdown list of your domains.
    Therein lies the rub. When I installed this service, my "domain" name is "host.domain.com" and hence my users are user@host.domain.com

Our mail MX is "domain.com" so for the purposes of "reply to" I changed all the users canonical name to the appropriate user@domain.com.

My goal is to make sure that when mail comes from this distribution list it is as list@domain.com and not list@host.domain.com.

Or am I not making any sense this Friday?

Why not add a alias domain ? You can then create it with the @domain.com extension but add in the users with @server.domain.com.

Why not add a alias domain ? You can then create it with the @domain.com extension but add in the users with @server.domain.com.
    Ha! Great minds must think alike. That just occurred to me as well. I followed the directions in this link (for those of you who are relative zimbra neophytes too)

ManagingDomains - Zimbra :: Wiki

Cool Enjoy

Now in return please update your profile with the following output so we know which version of ZCS you are running
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v

Cool Enjoy

Now in return please updateyour profile with the following output so we know which version of ZCS you are running
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    *Edit* - I'm running the following version:

Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.RHEL5_20090206105452 RHEL5 NETWORK edition

There is one question I want to clarify before I move on. I issued the command:

zmprov md host.domain.com zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @host.domain.com zimbraMailCatchAllCanonicalAddress @domain.com but when I send to the list, it still shows up in the headers as having come from @host.domain.com

I presume that this is because since this server is a test box right now, and hence has no MX for the domain as of yet, I'm sending it to list@host.domain.com and therefore that's what it shows.

Or am I way off again?

That is because it is the name of the server eg.
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmhostname
    You can change it so that it becomes domain.com so have a read of ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki.

That is because it is the name of the server eg.
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmhostname
    You can change it so that it becomes domain.com so have a read of ZmSetServerName - Zimbra :: Wiki.
    In the interests of making sure I understand you: You mean I should name my server "domain.com" so it resolves as "domain.com.domain.com"? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Also, it occurred to me that perhaps I should create a new domain that is more in line with what I need, so in the "domains" setting in the webUI where I have:

host.domain.com

I would also create a

domain.com

and just associate the users to it? The only thing that springs to mind is that I'm wondering how to monitor the inbound/outbound ques since, in the past, I've noticed that there's typically only ONE mail que and it's tied directly to the host.

Yes you could create a new domain and then migrate your users to it using
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmprov ra {name@domain} {name@newdomain}
    Yes, there is only one mail queue so you would see all email for all domains you host.