Thread: Most messages disappear

Exclamation Most messages disappear

Hi,

I have a user that reports that most of his emails are missing - only in the Inbox.

He doesn't have pop3 access configured anywhere and there isn't an expiration time configured in the admin for the mailbox;

Besides, some older messages are there - from December 2007 and some new, March 2009, but in that time period (December 2007 to March 2009) there aren't any messages in the Inbox - but in the Sent, there are several responding to messages received in that time period.

The user didn't deleted it - or so he says - the logs show no access via pop3 or any other unusual activity...

I've already did a reindex in the mailbox, but that didn't solve anything.

Does any has ever come across this kind of bug or similar? How do I fix this and get the messages back to the user account?
    Can any one help me?

PS: I'm using zimbra-core-4.5.9.

Thanks in advance.

soemtimes it can be a badly configured filter

have you checked all your Log Files - Zimbra :: Wiki for error messages ? You should really plan a upgrade of ZCS as that is a old version now.

The user doesn't have any filters configured in his email box.

And for the logs, I've checked mailbox.log, audit.log...

We are planning an update for the version 6 of zimbra - when it will come out, but, as you can imagine - I can't tell the user to wait for the upgrade and I need to fix this - within this version.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Oh, and sorry for the double post.
    I post this one first, but as I was refresh the page to see if any one had answered it gave me an error displaying it - so I thought there were an error posting it.

Can the user provide a example to you of one that is missing; you could then check the actual datastore to see whether it is actually there but just not showing for some reason.

I presume you have a valid backup aswell ? just in-case you need to recover the messages.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Can the user provide a example to you of one that is missing; you could then check the actual datastore to see whether it is actually there but just not showing for some reason.
    I know he responded to a message in a spefic date and I'm trying to search the logs to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    I presume you have a valid backup aswell ? just in-case you need to recover the messages.
    The valid backup (monthly) that I have already as the account in this state...
    And the other backups are on tape... And it takes to long (time and disk space) to restore accounts from this storage... But in the end, if I can't find a solution for this, might be the only way..

Check the logs if user is popping the emails, this happens all the time, they configure outlook at home and mails will be pulling down they forget about that pop client at all.