Thread: number of accounts and domain

Default number of accounts and domain

Hi,

In near future we will get multiple clients for mail solution and as per requirement number of accounts / domains will be increased. I know we can configured as many as domains in zimbra but not sure about number of accounts.

right now in production environment around 600 accounts are live for 1 customer and by this weekend ..i am going to add another domain with 1000 + accounts ...

So I want to know what is the maximum limit of account creation per domain in zimbra open source edition ??
    Do i need to upgrade my server hardware resource to avoid performance issue ?

As Zimbra licensing is based on the number of user accounts, i need to update this detail to higher management ..so in future they can take decision accordingly....

Thanks

Well, one user has just migrated 650k users to Zimbra so scaling is not a problem With respect to whether you would need to upgrade your hardware is dependant on the activity profile of your users. Do they just use IMAP/POP3 ? Do they use the standard HTML client or Ajax ? Ideally you should be monitoring your server anyway so that you can build some trends of CPU/Memory usage. With respect to licensing you are currently using the Community Edition so are you planning to switch to the Network Edition version ?

Hi Uxbod,
    Thanks for quick reply...

we have installed zimbra on HP Blade server which is having 8 cores x 2GHz Quad Core XEON CPU processor and 16 GB RAM.
    its been installed on storage partition....yes we are monitoring our server 24X7.
    our current client is using MS outlook / Outlook express to access mails ( 600 IDs) all are active.
    Our new client which will be live by this weekend will use MS outlook ( 1000+ IDs) and some remote users will be use web interface - html - for remote user s count is not fix ...

so as per above details what will you suggest ...i know i have to monitor my server and have a look on peak hours of mail communication...But i just need standard configuration so accordingly i can think about my setup.
    Well, in near future i would say total account count including all domain will be around 4000...!!! we are trying our best to satisfy customer's requirements. but few clients may be have additional requirement like blackberry integration, address book sync which i have mentioned in another post few days before..
    so i really cant predict how manegement will take decision about those clients...but i have to be ready with all details in my hand if they ask me about zimbra ..
    For some special cleints magement thinking about NE version but again number of accounts is the major concern... !!!

so as per our current requirement i just want to know what is the maximum limit to create accounts per doamin in OPEN SOURCE zimbra ?

Nice blade spec and I would think that is more than adequate for your needs; though as mentioned before keep an eye on CPU/memory requirements.

With respect to the number of accounts per domain I do not believe there is a hard limit on that.

Thanks for the confirmation. So for my open source zimbra i can installed as many as IDs ..only need to take care of performance.
    For special users...lets c what we will decide ...

I must say for OSS also I am getting great support from u guys ...specially uxbod and Bill always give prompt response ....i was just thinking about NE support ... ..it must be excellent..