Thread: [SOLVED] mail in command line

Default [SOLVED] mail in command line

Hi guys

I would need my sh scripts to be able to send some logs to an external email. If I try to use mail command from interface the scripts complain that I should install mail and mailx. I am running on Ubuntu Server 8.04 TLS / Release 5.0.13_GA_2791.UBUNTU8 UBUNTU8 FOSS edition

I would install these application but I am afraid these will interact with Zimbra server in a negative way.

Any advice ? Has someone tried any solutions ? I think I saw last month some posts on this topic but I am not able to find those posts, so sorry if I am asking same thing as someone has already asked before !

Thank you in advance for any answer!
    Gabi

Code:
    apt-get install mailx
    If it does pull in another MTA then just stop it.

What other MTA ? I have only Zimbra installed on my server no other apps. This is why I am little bit afraid to installed mail related application, not to get the installation break. So installing only the ailx wil not cause any trouble to my existing zimbra instalation ?

It should not do, though when you run the command it will tell you if it is pulling in any other packages.

If I try to install mailx, the dependency are: exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light liblockfile1. I have no ideea what are this and how they are influencing the mail server.

I don't like this. The server is not a test one so I have to be very carefull about installing other apps.

In /opt/zimbra folder I see two folder postfix/sbin and postfix-2.4.7.5z/sbin both folders containing sendmail. Can't I use sendmail to send mails from command line ? Which one is the correct one to be used ?

Code:
    apt-get install sendemail
    no other dependencies apart from Perl which will already be installed. Once installed run sendEmail for all the options.

Thank you very much for this answer ... this is exactly what I needed. I tested and all orks just fine.

For others reading this post sendemail != sendmail .... I was confused at the begining .... I have two folder with sendmail ... why nstall another instance

Code:
    ls -ld /opt/zimbra/postfix
    You will find that it is just a symbolic link to the other one Glad you are sorted now

Thumbs up

This was great!

I ran this:
    ln -s /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail

and now I can use the mail command from the command line like every other happy linux box. :-)

Great thread here guys! :-)

-Cheers, Peter.