Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SASL error when sending via SMTP Auth

Default SASL error when sending via SMTP Auth

Hi,

I've got a site which has suddenly started having an error sending via SMTP Auth. This was working fine with this site previously.

It has an SSL certificate from rapidssl, which was set up fine.

I've tried the other suggestions in these forums - check the tls mode, check that saslauthd has -r, and so on.

The only (seemingly) relevant errors are :
    Code:
    May  5 11:20:43 mail postfix/smtpd[31120]: warning: SASL authentication problem: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
    May  5 11:20:43 mail postfix/smtpd[31120]: warning: SASL authentication problem: unable to open Berkeley db /etc/sasldb2: No such file or directory
    May  5 11:20:43 mail postfix/smtpd[31120]: warning: host[1.2.3.4]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed
    /etc/sasldb2 doesn't exist, but saslauthd should not be using this anyway.

Running 3.0.1_GA_197 on debian.

Upgrade? Reboot? Starting things with out a 'su - zimbra' first?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

If you are asking if any of those things happened, it's possible there was a reboot between this working last and it not working. The clients are pretty vague about the last time SMTP AUTH worked. I upgraded just prior to getting SMTP AUTH *working*, so it's not that.

Is the log you posted form /var/log/zimbra.log? Is postfix the zimbra postfix version running? Could it be you have another postfix running on the same machine?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

It's definitely from zimbra's postfix install, and there is definitely no other postfix running on the machine. This is on Debian, so the default MTA is exim anyway, which is also not running.

Are you starting/stopping the servers are the zimbra user?

I am either: running /opt/zimbra/libexec/zimbra as root, which in turn su's to zimbra, or I am running the individual commands as the zimbra user (eg, tomcat stop, tomcat start) etc.

I just experienced a similar issue.
    I had SMTP Authentication working fine just yesterday, but today it stopped working. In between that I restarted zimbra yesterday evening.

The only log messages I get when trying to send a message and authenticate (the same user can poll IMAP successfully with the same credentials) are :

Code:
    May  9 11:02:27 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12033]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
    May  9 11:02:27 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12033]: warning: firewall.mycompany.com[192.169.193.236]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed
    May  9 11:02:27 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12033]: warning: firewall.mycompany.com[192.169.193.236]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed
    I will try restarting the zimbra components and see if that helps.

My issue was resolved by switching back to http mode and then restarting:
    Code:
    $ zmtlsctl http
    $ zmcontrol stop
    $ zmcontrol start
    So I guess this is probably a very different issue.

I just tried your suggestion again (have tried it before), and it didn't help.