Thread: quota overbooking

Question quota overbooking

Hi
    i wonder can i manage quotas in overbooking?

Is there an overall limit for the machine that protect from crash if total size quotas overcame it?

if my phisical space is 100
    an my users are 100
    can i put quota 2 for each user?

I would like my system stop receive mail if overcome phisical limit but at the same time don't be warry if users*quota > limit size

Quote Originally Posted by cedbl View Post
    Is there an overall limit for the machine that protect from crash if total size quotas overcame it?
    If your Q is does Zimbra has built in logic of making sure if you reach to certain % of your physical disk space and it shuts down on its own then the answer is - NO

If your Q is that WILL Zimbra shuts down if your USER ALLOTED QUOTA = PHYSICAL SPACE ..then answer is - NO
    * means you can allot 100 GB of user quota even if you have 50GB physical space.

What you need is a script to monitor your HD space which will alert you as admin to check and do some corrective action if your HD space usage reached 90% or whatever.
    Nagios and other system monitoring tools already do that..its not zimbra who needs to manage that

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Question quota overbooking

Hi
    i don't want an automatic system shutdown.

As some users delete their messages after reading ( their box are quite clean) for example pop user
    other store all their messages

i would like to have only one type of quota for each user
    but to be sure that in the case all user start to store all messages then my system couldn't crash but only notify over quota message to the external sender
    my question is because i don't want to buy physical space for user that usually don't use their quota space and i don't want to have recalculate quota space each time quota need change for some user
    Last edited by cedbl; 04-02-2009 at 06:32 AM.

Unhappy

hi
    my problem is that before install zimbra i started with (Amount of Space)/(Number of user) = Quota for each user

But in the time i had to change quota for several users that achived soon quota limit.
    Many other user instead, are pop3 user(or are used to delete messages after reading) so they leave free space in their mailbox
    Now my formula is not more reliable and i'm afraid that if all user start in filling all their mailbox space my system could crash
    I only would like to know if zimbra is able to run when phisical space is filled, obviously not in receiving mails but without crash waiting for users quota purges and with notification to senders of over quota