Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accesing ZImbra from outside a LAN

Default Accesing ZImbra from outside a LAN

Hi
    I have this problem: when I am in my LAN, I can use zimbra by entering http://192.168.1.7 or https://192.168.1.7:7071 for administrator console.
    But when I am outside this LAN and I enter this address:
    mail.mydomain.com
    it brings me the main page of the site, not the zimbra page.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dirk; 04-15-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: fixed auto naming of mail.mydomain.com

How is your Zimbra server conected to the Internet? Does it have it's own public IP address, or is it behind a firewall?

My zimbra server is on a internal LAN, IP 192.168.1.7, behind a server with a static IP and with a firewall. I can send(from the LAN) and receive mail(from every other net).

You do have a seperate IP for the main site and for your zimbra server correct? Or are you just using port forwarding on the firewall?

What experience do you have with DNS, you may need to get your hands dirty!

Check that the mail.domain .com address resolves to your own external IP address, I'm going to guess that it currently does not. You will need to make that change first.

amorgan:
    I have a public IP to my main server and an private Ip to my zimbra server. In the main server I am using port forwarding (the mail gets in and out ok)

Dirk:
    What experience do you have with DNS, you may need to get your hands dirty!
    I have little experience with DNS but I have read a lot of tutorials and help pages!!.
    I have set up a splitdns and zimbra works fine.
    Check that the mail.domain .com address resolves to your own external IP address
    When I run nslookup mail.mydomain.com in some machines of the LAN it gives me my external IP address, but if I run it on my main server or in some other machines it gives me the local zimbra server ip address.

Quote Originally Posted by masterguido View Post
    I have a public IP to my main server and an private Ip to my zimbra server. In the main server I am using port forwarding (the mail gets in and out ok)
    I believe this is your problem. Since when you go to your external address port 80 is going to go to your main server and not your zimbra server. You should still be able to get to the admin console if you forward 7071 to your zimbra server. I'm not that familiar with port forwarding so I'm not sure if it will work, but you may be able to set up a port forward so that when you go to yourdomain.com:81 it forwards to zimbraserver port 80.

Quote Originally Posted by amorgan View Post
    I believe this is your problem. Since when you go to your external address port 80 is going to go to your main server and not your zimbra server. You should still be able to get to the admin console if you forward 7071 to your zimbra server. I'm not that familiar with port forwarding so I'm not sure if it will work, but you may be able to set up a port forward so that when you go to yourdomain.com:81 it forwards to zimbraserver port 80.
    This is exactly what you need to do. Pick some random port (something not commonly used by other applications; 81 and 8080 are somewhat common for this type of setup), and then configure a port forwarding rule so that requests coming in to your public IP at this port will be forwarded to your Zimbra server at port 80.
    Last edited by soxfan; 04-15-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterguido View Post
    When I run nslookup mail.mydomain.com in some machines of the LAN it gives me my external IP address, but if I run it on my main server or in some other machines it gives me the local zimbra server ip address.
    All systems on your lan should see the internal IP address and all systems outside of your lan should see the external IP address. For the computers on your lan that show the external address, you likely have their primary DNS server set to be your external DNS server, it should point to your local DNS server, have a look at the IP settings of two computers, one that sees the internal address and one that sees the external one, you should see an obvious difference.

Default Hi

It seems there is some problem with your DNS.Have you checked DNS properly.Ping your mail server and xhexk it should get resolve to your public IP.