Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfomance issue

Default Perfomance issue

Hi,

One of Our client (around 2000 user) keep telling me that they are facing performance issue for email solution. around 1000 people using IMAP configuration with ms outlook and around 700 - 1000 people using web interface as they are roaming users.

This client using MPLS ( 1 MBPS) as well as broadband ( 512 KBPS). When they use mails through MPLS in office performance is good...but through braodabnd is not good.
    I know web interface ( AJX ) will take some time to communicate and its all depend upon the network connectivity.

1 ) i just want to know is their any suggestion i can give to customer for this ? i asked them to use standard html version for web interface to get better performance. ...any other suggestion ?

2 ) Is is the right decision to suggest user to configure their profile with IMAP? as i believe IMAP is online protocol and work differently than POP3 and it keep syncing with server...is it raise any issue with performance...??

Please suggest.

Thanks

IMAP will use less bandwith than the ajax web client, but you also lose lots of functionality.

The real solution is to have more upload bandwidth where the server is located, this is commonly a problem so is there any way you could have the server colocated in a hosting provider?

Dirk, thanks for your reply..

Our mail server is in datacenter and we are hosting multiple clients ( domain) from one server....so its not possible to reloacte mail server as per our architecture and setup.... I know increase bandwidth is only solution in this matter...
    but i always ask users to use ms outlook for mail communication so they can get better performance and roaming use can go for web mail. so everyone can enjoy mail access w/o trouble...and in future we can get more number of users....
    one of our future client's requiremnt is 15 MB attachment..once tht client get live then i have to monitor my server very closely ..so i just wanted to know in such situation which Protocol is good in performance wise ...IMAP for POP3 ??? because both work differently...or it doenst make that much difference ??

Thanks.

Silly question if I may ask ... Why don't you push NE for your clients or setup your own NE installation ?

Hi Uxbod,

I m sorry..i couldnt get your question..can u pls explain ?

One more question here...is there any way to make mobile version of zimbra web interface as a default profile ? in preference i can see only option for advanced and standard html profile..not for mobile..
    and how to attach file in mobile profile ? i couldnt see any attchment option in mobile version..
    pls help.

Thanks

zimbra mobile is use for mobile device...but through IE also we can use it..its good and perfromance also good in low bandwidth or through data card..but only problem is not getting option for attchment in "compose" field..is there any specific reason for it...or its only avalible for mobile device??

Thanks

There are actually several different mobile options with Zimbra. See this link for more info. The Zimbra mobile you are referring to is the mobile web client. It is really designed for devices with smaller screens, like an iPhone or even some of the smaller netbooks that are out there now. Personally I haven't used it all that much, and never really noticed the lack of an attach option. You should probably search the Zimbra Bugzilla to see if there is an open RFE/bug on this. However, I would think the Standard HTML client would perform about the same as the Mobile Web client from a bandwidth perspective, so I'm not really sure you need to use the Mobile client.

Thanks soxfan for your reply.

I searched on bugzilla but couldnt find out related bug so raise new bug # 37424 for this requirement.

Our client facing serious issue regarding web interface performance..while using standard html version also they are facing problem...finally they have started using their personal id ..yahoo, gmail for communication..there main concern is how the yahoo, gmail are working fine but not zimbra with same network bandwidth...

is there any way to do performance tunning for jetty..how can check the number of hit for zwc ?
    My server config is as below :
    Processor :8 cores x 2GHz Quad Core XEON
    RAM : 16 GB
    HP BL460c G1 blade server
    Zimbra storage Partition : 200 GB

Number of Domains :2
    Total number of users : 2500
    Number of users using zimbra web interface : 1500

Please help. this become very serious issue as our most of the users are roaming.

Thanks

I think your Zimbra server specs are fine, especially since you say performance is good using MPLS. Maybe I'm not understanding your network setup correctly. You say:
    finally they have started using their personal id ..yahoo, gmail for communication..there main concern is how the yahoo, gmail are working fine but not zimbra with same network bandwidth...
    How are these users connecting to the Internet? Performance is going to depend on not only their Internet connection but also on the email server they are connecting to. Google, Yahoo!, etc. probably have huge Internet pipes, with multiple email servers, and use other load-balancing tricks to handle the amount of users they have connecting up to their webmail accounts. If I'm reading correctly this customer has a single 512 KBPS broadband connection. How is this the "same network bandwidth"? I think, as Dirk mentioned in an earlier post, your problem lies with the Internet pipe this company has.

thanks Soxfan for your reply...
    ya i am working with network team alos and with client to check out why they are facing this problem..
    and mean while i m testing ZWC through data card, MPLS and broadband in our test lab..
    First time i m saw jetty configuration..so dont know much about it..but after changing number of connection for jetty and max thread for mysql i could feel performance is abit better..but still i need to work on it as per client requirement..

i m refering Performance Tuning Guidelines for Large Deployments - Zimbra :: Wiki link which is really good..

I want to make all user's ZWC profile's standard ( HTML) bydefault..through admin GUI...is there any command to do it for all users... ??

pls suggest ..