Thread: catch-all with a twist

Default catch-all with a twist

I have a need for a special catchall, I want to not specifically have a catchall for ALL email coming in (and by that I mean to ANY address at my domain), but rather a subset of it.

I have found several pages that detail how to setup general catchalls, but what I am after is to have a catch-'some' per-se, to any address falling within (as an example):
    *-247@mydomainname.com

Therefore any mail being directed to admin, sysop, otheruser, bob or bill @mydomainname.com will fail (unless specific accounts have been created for those users).

But anything that is addressed to bill-247@mydomainname.com will succeed.

I know it's not the best anti-spam tool, but it's worked for me for the last few years. So before coming over to zimbra full time, I need to be able to accommodate such a plan.

Yup, no problem, you want to enable email delimiters, have a look at this thread: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/develop...plus-hack.html

I happen to use this with a - character rather than + as I think it looks nicer, but you can pick anything you like really. It would seem that + is more standard as it's what google uses though.

That's excellent, I didn't know about that.

Now you've got me thinking... I want to break this into 3 questions:

QUESTION #1:
    ------------------
    So does that mean:

an email address (using a '+' delimiter) of

albert+smith@my.com

would get delivered to

smith@my.com or
    albert@my.com or
    albert+smith@my.com ?

Although I like it, and may implement it in future names, at this point I don't want any part of the name discarded.

QUESTION #2:
    ------------------

Can the delimiter be more than one character? ie, could I make the delimiter '-247' or '.smith'?

QUESTION #3:
    ------------------

1) Assume we have a family mail server setup with the following accounts (these are actual accounts, or at least aliases):
    adam@my.com <-- no ".smith"
    bill.smith@my.com
    charlie.smith@my.com
    dad.smith@my.com
    elizabeth.smith@my.com
    family@my.com <-- no ".smith"

2) Bill is the admin (dad's not very smart) and he want's a catch all for any spelling errors in people's names, so if someone send email to "charly.smith", "charley.smith", "lizzy.smith" or "elisabeth.smith", Bill wants to receive it and can forward it to the correct person as he sees fit. But he still only wants it if the ".smith" exists. If the name is spelt correctly, then it will just go their account as normal.

In this example, something to sharon.smith will go to Bill, but something to sharon1337 will not. Can I take this approach in Zimbra utilising something like "*.smith@my.com" as a catch-all ?

Essentially, my question is the bolded part above, this below part was to better illustrate my point, it just got out of hand :-)

1. It would be delivered to the mailbox albert@my.com
    2. As far as I know, single character, but feel free to experiment
    3. Nope, for this you would need to make aliases for the user, so the account sharon@my.com could have aliases of sharon.smith@my.com defined to allow such mail to be delivered.