Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shared Domain w/Exchange

Default Shared Domain w/Exchange

We are trying to setup zimbra to share the same domain as our exchange server. I have followed the instructions here to setup exchange to share the domain. That allowed my exchange server to relay any addresses that it didn't recognize to my zimbra server.

At this point I can receive inbound mail from external users and exchange users to my zimbra server, but zimbra won't deliver mail to exchange. I am sure that it is something simple, but I can't seem to figure it out.

When I try to reply to a message sent to a zimbra account from an exchange account I get the following error:

Code:
    msg - Message not sent to any recipients because of these failed addresses: 
    Robert <RobertJ@domain.com>
    code - mail.SEND_FAILURE
    method - ZmCsfeCommand.invoke
    detail - soap:Sender
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Robert

Do you have a valid MX record setup on that domain that can be resolved on the Zimbra box via DNS? Also might want to check the postfix log in /var/log/maillog.

The kb article describes two methods. Did you use "Method 1: Sharing Selected SMTP Address Spaces" or "Method 2: Sharing All Address Spaces"?

sam - I used method #1. Should I try the other method?

KevinH - I do have a valid MX record for the exchange server, but I did not create a backup MX for the zimbra machine. Should I?

Thanks for your help,

Robert Jackson

I think that the problem is that zimbra is acting as the authoritative server for the domain, and since it does not have a record of the exchange addresses it thinks they are invalid.

I have configured the domain on zimbra to use Active Directory for authentication, but not for the GAL. Should I try setting the GAL mode to "Both"?

If it isn't possible I can setup a sub-domain for my zimbra users, but I don't really want to have to do that...

Thanks again,

Robert Jackson

Not trying to hijack the thread, but tonight I tried to have Exchange 2000 coexist with Zimbra (after getting the proper version of Fedora - Thanks KevinH). I followed the doc's that point to Microsoft's site and how to set Exchange to forward off emails that it does not find a local address match to the Zimbra server. I am trying to make a determination if my Exchange (which I do not manage) server is "having issues". When I shoot an email to an address residing within Zimbra, Exchange bounces it and appears to never try the connector. Any suggestions on

Any help would be great!

Brent

Is the smtp domain that you want to share the the primary smtp address on the default recipient policy?

You are following the directions here, right?
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321721

Yes, the smtp domain I want to share is the primary. We also have another Recipient Policy that is specifically setup for this same domain. It is also checked as primary. Looking between the default and this other policy, the default policy does nothing but maintenance while this other policy handles everything else (sounds like I should be using the other policy?).

I did follow the directions lined out in the above URL. I believe because I have this extra policy it might be causing my issues.

Brent

According to the kb article (assuming you are following the first method described), exchange should be non-authoritative for the shared domain. It also says that exchange must be authoritative for the primary smtp address on the default recipient policy. So, you cannot make exchange non-authoritative for the smtp address on the default recipient policy.

Looks like you should create a new recipient pollicy (with the smtp address of the domain you want to share) and change the default recipient policy to have a new address (like exchange.domain.com).

Also, it sounds like (since exchange is sending the NDR) exchange is authoritative for the shared domain. Make sure that "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address" is not checked in the recipient policy properties.

I believe that is what I did. Here is what I did based on the reading of the kb:

1) Create a new domain under default policy. Set it as primary and authoritative.
    2) Change the existing default policy for the domain I want to share by unchecking "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address".
    3) Created a new policy with the shared domain in it. Setting it as primary in this new policy but not making it authoritative (unchecked the box).
    4) Create the connector and pointing it to the FQDN of the box (I nslookup'ed to make sure it can resolve the name properly). I checked the box to allow messages to be relayed to this domain.

I just noticed everytime I uncheck the," This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address" and then regardless of clicking OK or APPLY, it still says checked. I even try to "Apply this policy now..." will no luck.

Brent