Thread: [SOLVED] HowTo: Extract and restore a single user mailbox from a tarball

Hybrid View

Lightbulb [SOLVED] HowTo: Extract and restore a single user mailbox from a tarball

Hi all guys,

I've a tarball (.tar.gz) with a complete /opt/zimbra rsync-ed inside, my backup script do it every night @ 3:00am .

If one of my customer call me for a restore of his mailbox (ok @ 3:00am) there is a way to restore from my tarball only this mailbox and not all tarball?
    A fact is to restore a customer mailbox @ 3:00pm , another one is to restore all customers ...

can you help me?

Quote Originally Posted by lovelord View Post
    Hi all guys,

I've a tarball (.tar.gz) with a complete /opt/zimbra rsync-ed inside, my backup script do it every night @ 3:00am .

If one of my customer call me for a restore of his mailbox (ok @ 3:00am) there is a way to restore from my tarball only this mailbox and not all tarball?
    A fact is to restore a customer mailbox @ 3:00pm , another one is to restore all customers ...

can you help me?

any news?

Restore the full /opt/zimbra (to another VM/server, unreachable from the production one).
    Before restoring, you obviously need to setup ZCS (same version than the backuped one).

Then rename the server (using the correct CLI command and changing the DNS stuff) and make sure you can see both servers from workstation.

Then do imapsync (or manual imap drag'n'drop or create a share) between the restored and production accounts.

That's why it's not a good idea to use the OpenSource Edition for hosting customers...
    Last edited by Klug; 05-04-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    Restore the full /opt/zimbra (to another VM/server, unreachable from the production one).
    Before restoring, you obviously need to setup ZCS (same version than the backuped one).

Then rename the server (using the correct CLI command and changing the DNS stuff) and make sure you can see both servers from workstation.

Then do imapsync (or manual imap drag'n'drop or create a share) between the restored and production accounts.

That's why it's not a good idea to use the OpenSource Edition for hosting customers...
    Over here an Homer Simpson's "Doh!" could be applyed?

So in OSS the maximum backup we could pretend to do/restore is a full /opt/zimbra tarball ... this is why network edition have that cost

Thanks for reply.

It's possible to use the built-in tool zmmailbox to do per-user mailbox backups using the technique found here:

ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog

In a script, it's as easy as getting a list of all users, then running the zmmailbox command for each user.
    Craig Rodway » Flickr | Last.fm | Del.icio.us | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    It's possible to use the built-in tool zmmailbox to do per-user mailbox backups using the technique found here:

ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog

In a script, it's as easy as getting a list of all users, then running the zmmailbox command for each user.
    This could be a nice approach to the problem, now I'm asking how many GB/s are rsync-ed when script do a single user backup. Trying to estimate it for a 800-1000 mailbox c.a. .... Asking myself if this could be a valid choice to be done daily as cronjob or less ... what do you think about it?

Transferring from ZCS (Dual Quad-Core Xeon 2.2GHz, 7GB RAM, RAID1 SAS) to a NFS network server, it takes about an hour to backup 9.6GB (149 mailboxes) of these compressed archives.

This Zimbra setup is in a school, and the 149 mailboxes are just for staff - I don't bother with individual ones for students. I still do a full /opt/zimbra tarball every week though.

The main factors governing your backup speed will obviously be mailbox size, number of mailboxes, and your backup infrastrucutre/media.

I've put my script on my wiki page (Webman-Notes - Zimbra :: Wiki) for you to have a look at and use as you wish. On review, it actually backs up to the local disk first and then moves the file to NFS - feel free to experiment exporting directly to NFS though if you want
    Craig Rodway » Flickr | Last.fm | Del.icio.us | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by lovelord View Post
    So in OSS the maximum backup we could pretend to do/restore is a full /opt/zimbra tarball ... this is why network edition have that cost
    You asked how to restore a single mailbox from a full OSE backup, I answered your question.

If you have asked "is there a way to do individual backups of mailboxes in OSE", I would have given another answer (pointing you to the several threads on the forum and wiki pages)...

Probably I've gave a wrong explanation of what I was looking for, my bad.

In any case I've individued how to move around backups, and this is what I was trying to understand, probably becouse I'm new here around, and caming from a command line based system I'm a little stunned from all these innovations. This is a great community in my personal opinion.

Thanks again for support Klug.