Thread: Zimbra just as a calender

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra just as a calender

Hi!

We are considering using Zimbra as a calender software, with requirements that it can be synced from ical, mobile phones and (less importantly) outlook. We allready have an open ldap implementation running, and would prefere to keep it external from Zimbra (and use it as authentication for the calender). We also have mail running externally, so it would not really be needed otherwise too.

Does this seem like a smart plan? After installing Zimbra it really looks like a swiss knife (out of which I would only need one tool)...

Zimbra is not designed to work as a calendar only. It needs and relies on internal mail for many of the calendar features.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. This was somehow the feeling I got when I looked at it. I did'nt have alot of time today, and unfortunatly I did'nt install it myself, so without having time to read through all of the documentation I was a bit lost.

How robust is it as an email server?

Anyone know a good calender application that would support ldap, mozilla, ical and symbian 60 calenders?
    Last edited by kamina; 05-11-2006 at 01:43 PM.

Zimbra works well as mail. You get all the standard stuff, IMAP/POP (with SSL) plus the AJAX web client that offers a richer alternative to most other mail clients out there today.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.