Thread: PAM LDAP with Zimbra directory

Talking PAM LDAP with Zimbra directory

Hi,

We have just installed Zimbra and think it is an excellent piece of work. Thanks for all the good work by the Zimbra team.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the Zimbra directory to authenticate external Linux users through PAM LDAP. This way we can use the Zimbra directory as the network authentication server. If anybody has done this, can you post the procedure?

I have been though the forums and could only see onely one thread which did not have any answers.

It can be done. We just don't test/doc that here inside Zimbra. You'd have to configure it yourself.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default external authentication via PAM

What about the opposite issue? I have an old NT domain with my users on it and I would like it if Zimbra performed authentication against the domain's PDC? I have done this countless times for other applications by using a PAM interface with winbind. Is there any similar approach that I could apply here?

Quote Originally Posted by f10ga11ma
    What about the opposite issue? I have an old NT domain with my users on it and I would like it if Zimbra performed authentication against the domain's PDC? I have done this countless times for other applications by using a PAM interface with winbind. Is there any similar approach that I could apply here?
    Is your server a real NT4 machine? or is it a samba maching running as a PDC?

If it's a real NT4 machine, the easiest way to do this is just go setup a win2k3 machine and run it in mixed mode. Zimbra can then authenticate off that.

If it's a samba machine, perhaps migrate it to a openldap back-end, then auth zimbra against that.