Thread: [SOLVED] View Mail returns 404 not found

Unhappy [SOLVED] View Mail returns 404 not found

Hi, I have installed zcs-5.0.16 GA Open Source Version on CentOS 5

now outgoing emails are working. but I haven't point the MX record to my zimbra, so inbound email doesn't work yet.

As an administrator, I tried to view other people's email. I log in to the management interface as admin. click "Accounts" on the left panel. Choose an account and clicked on "View Mail". Now, I am using Firefox 3.0.10 . a new tab popped out but the screen says this:

Not Found
    The requested URL /service/preauth was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I tried it with IE 6. but IE 6 just pop out with a regular account log in interface. I don't know what's going on.. I have search all other thread , but non of them helps.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You've quite likely got a problem with your DNS A & MX record or the hosts file, fix those and try again or search the forums for details of what you need.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain mx
    dig yourdomain any
    host `hostname` <- note backticks and not single quotes

Default I am having split dns

I didn't get any error message during installation and no error starting the zimbra services.

here is what I get after I run each command:
    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
    ::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    search members.linode.com
    nameserver 97.107.130.xx     <--- this is the same IP as my server since I am using split DNS
    nameserver 207.192.69.4
    nameserver 207.192.69.5

Code:
    dig yourdomain mx

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> mail.mydomain.com mx
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 1087
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mail.mydomain.com.                IN      MX

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    com.                    564     IN      SOA     a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1242369869 1800 900 604800 900

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 97.107.130.xx#53(97.107.130.xx)
    ;; WHEN: Fri May 15 02:50:23 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 113

Code:
    dig yourdomain any

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4-P1 <<>> mail.mydomain.com any
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 5319
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mail.mydomain.com.       IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mail.mydomain.com. 2592000 IN     SOA     mail.mydomain.com. hostmas                      ter.mail.mydomain.com. 10118 43200 3600 3600000 2592000
    mail.mydomain.com. 2592000 IN     NS      97.107.130.xx.mail.mydomain.com.
    mail.mydomain.com. 2592000 IN     A       97.107.130.xx
    mail.mydomain.com. 2592000 IN     MX      10 mail.mydomain.com.

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 97.107.130.xx#53(97.107.130.xx)
    ;; WHEN: Fri May 15 02:53:10 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 148

Code:
    host `hostname`
    mail.mydomain.com has address 97.107.130.xx
    mail.mydomain.com mail is handled by 10 mail.mydomain.com.

Is there anything wrong with my settings here?
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-15-2009 at 12:33 AM.

/etc/hosts is wrong, it should contain the private IP of your server, its FQDN and hostname.

/etc/resolv.conf should only contains your splitDNS server and not the two other ones.

Are you connecting directly to your server or through any kind of proxy or reverse proxy?

Read the Quick Start Installation Guide for details of the hosts file and the following: Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki

The DNS set-up you have is not a Split DNS and doesn't have the correct records.
    Last edited by phoenix; 05-25-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Regards

Bill

Default I am using Split DNS

Hi, I have checked the Split DNS tutorial. And I was doing it correctly. I did a nslookup mail.mydomain.com
    I was able to see my server IP. My server is not behind firewall nor NAT no proxy and my FQDN (xxx.members.linode.com) is different then my host name (mail.mydomain.com). I have set up the Split DNS to use my host name instead of my FQDN because I want to use the mail.mydomain.com to show on my email. I have no way to point my real mail.mydomain.com to this IP address because my DNS service provider don't have "A" record service. One thing I mentioned that I haven't point my MX record to this server (does this makes a difference)? because all my status are ok when I run zmcontrol status. And I didn't have any certificate errors when installing zimbra. Plus the nslookup returns the correct IP address. I don't know what else I should do!!

Btw I have now added my full FQDN to the /etc/hosts , it now looks like this.
    Code:
    97.107.130.xx   xxx.members.linode.com mail.mydomain.com

I rebooted my system but I still can't use the "view mail" function. I get the same error message. Where do I check to see if my certificate are all okay and passed? But again like I said the system didn't spit back any certificate issues.

Update to my post: I just found out that not only the "view mail" function doesn't work, non of the other "view" functions works for me. Ex. I can't view document I created, I can't download files that I uploaded to briefcase. I can't view .doc files that I uploaded to briefcase. They all have the same similar error message:

The requested URL /home/user@mydomain.com/test/mydoc was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This is serious. Please help.
    Last edited by bbhenry; 05-17-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: update new issue.

Default I found solution

Ok, I figured out what's going on now. Since I forced the zimbra server to recognized mail.mydomain.com to my server public IP address. But all the webclient are still seeing the mail.mydomain.com translated to other IP address. That's why I was seeing all those 404 not found pages. As soon as I replaced the mail.mydomain.com portion on the address bar with my server IP address. I was able to see all those pages now.

Thanks for all your help

Now since no matter what domain name I use, I can still add extra domain name to use as my email domain. So I have changed my hostname that has my server IP as the "A" record.

Wiki suggested the following command to change zimbra hostname, and it works great:

Code:
     su - zimbra
     zmcontrol stop
     /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmsetservername NEW_HOSTNAME
    After the change, everything works fine.

I am new the email server world, zimbra is the first email server I installed and try to maintain. I have a newbie question here regarding the domain names that we choose to use. If we get to choose any domain name that appends to the @, isn't that too easy for sending out spams while I pretend to be someone else(other domain names)? I have no intention of doing this. but what mechanism is out there to stop such fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhenry View Post
    Hi, I have checked the Split DNS tutorial. And I was doing it correctly. I did a nslookup mail.mydomain.com
    I was able to see my server IP. My server is not behind firewall nor NAT no proxy and my FQDN (xxx.members.linode.com) is different then my host name (mail.mydomain.com). I have set up the Split DNS to use my host name instead of my FQDN because I want to use the mail.mydomain.com to show on my email.
    This set-up is totally wrong, if you're not behind a NAT rourter nor a firewall you don't need a Split-DNS set-up. It's also rather foolish to have a mail server (or any other server) on an internet connection that isn't protected by a firewall or NAT router - you're asking for trouble.

I have no way to point my real mail.mydomain.com to this IP address because my DNS service provider don't have "A" record service.
    Then I'd suggest you move your DNS hosting to another provider that gives you full access to all your DNS records.

One thing I mentioned that I haven't point my MX record to this server (does this makes a difference)? because all my status are ok when I run zmcontrol status. And I didn't have any certificate errors when installing zimbra. Plus the nslookup returns the correct IP address. I don't know what else I should do!!
    You need to point an MX record to your server so you can receive mail.

[QUOTE=bbhenry;138276]Btw I have now added my full FQDN to the /etc/hosts , it now looks like this.
    Code:
    97.107.130.xx   xxx.members.linode.com mail.mydomain.com
    This is incorrect, the correct format should be:

Code:
    97.107.130.xx   mail.mydomain.com mail

I rebooted my system but I still can't use the "view mail" function. I get the same error message. Where do I check to see if my certificate are all okay and passed? But again like I said the system didn't spit back any certificate issues.

Update to my post: I just found out that not only the "view mail" function doesn't work, non of the other "view" functions works for me. Ex. I can't view document I created, I can't download files that I uploaded to briefcase. I can't view .doc files that I uploaded to briefcase. They all have the same similar error message:

The requested URL /home/user@mydomain.com/test/mydoc was not found on this server.

This is serious. Please help.
    Without fixing these DNS problems you'll continue to have problems and using the IP address in the url to get your mail is also not correct. The change you've described in the following post of using the IP address as the servername is also not correct, you really should fix this.
    Regards

Bill

Default vew mail not working on some accounts

I go to view an email account from the admin console and I get a page cannot be displayed and I get this in address bar:
    HTML Code:

http://share.foerstermarketing.com/s...b&isredirect=1

but I can view other accounts just fine just certain ones will not pull up.

Any idea what is going on?

***figured it out****
    Last edited by michael24; 11-05-2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: update