Thread: Yet another backup question

Default Yet another backup question

Hello..We have a Zimba NE commerical version 5.0.16 with about 100 users. The backup directory for this is in /opt/zimbra/backup. I would like to redirect the backup to a Windows Share to be picked up by the windows based backup software. I am sure I can mount windows share from the ZImbra box but is it best to change the ZImbra backup to dump directly to the windows share OR should I use something like Rsync?

Thanks for any help

Dave

Why not install Samba and share that directory directly out to your Windows server ?

Thanks much...I could try that but I thought I read somewhere that backing up directly to a share such as NFS or Samba is not a good idea. If that is good then I will set that up. I was wondering if others were doing this as well.

Also, does the backup back up everything I would need to get Zimbra backup and running from a crash? Basically, assuming a serious hardware issue I could recreate the VM from a snapshot and restore from the Samba share?

Thanks again'
    Dave

The backup (assuming its backing up all accounts and there were no errors) should be all that you need to get back up and running.

I usually include the most recent version of the Zimbra NE download and a few other directories (scripts and such) but that should do it.