Thread: Instant Messenger (IM) and multi servers

Default Instant Messenger (IM) and multi servers

Hi!!

I am running NE 5.0.15 and have noticed the following with IM. I was wondering if I messed something up, or it was just my configuration with the IM in it's current state.

I have a two server configuration.

Server 1 (RHEL5 32bit), is LDAP, MTA, STORE while server 2 (RHEL5 64bit) is just a STORE. I know this may not be optimum but I have had mixed results testing a convert to 64bit, and I needed another store quickly (long story).

So, I have about 12 domains running, and most accounts (about 100) are still on server 1. There are two domains with about 40 accounts on server 2.

Here is what I have noticed:

If an account on server 1 adds a buddy (belonging to the same domain or different domain) on server 1 the IM seems to work fine.

If an account on server 2 adds a buddy (belonging to the same domain or different domain) on server 1 the account on server 1 receives the request, can accept, but the account on server 2 never receives the request back.

If an account on server 2 adds a buddy (belonging to same domain) on server 2 the request is never sent or received.

So it would appear that there is an issue with server 2. Did I miss installing a piece?

Thanks for the help.

Unhappy Instant Messenger (IM) on Single Servers - Multiple Domains

I have recently realized that ZCS FOSS editions does not allow to Chat between two different domains, even if they are on the same Single Server.

However, it is possible on Network Editions.

Is there any way to put it working on a ZCS FOSS Edition ?
    - dgamez -

Netnovation Vzla, S.A.
    Zimbra VAR

Caracas - Venezuela

I noted similar sounding errors here (http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...ng-errors.html). The problem went away after an upgrade. Is that what you're experiencing?

Default [SOLVED] Instant Messenger (IM) on Single Servers - Multiple Domains

Quote Originally Posted by dgamez View Post
    I have recently realized that ZCS FOSS editions does not allow to Chat between two different domains, even if they are on the same Single Server.

However, it is possible on Network Editions.

Is there any way to put it working on a ZCS FOSS Edition ?
    Well, I was doing it in the wrong way..

My mistake: Try the communication between web clients with the IP address on the URL (http://192.168.1.x), instead of the FQDN (http://mail.domain.com).

Reason: For been lazy.. I use to login on zimbra web client with the server IP, but is not always a good idea.

Another important issue is that I had to change the 'GAL Mode' to 'External' (or 'Both'), in order to add buddies from different domains on a Single Server.

If you do that, will need this:
    LDAP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki

Zimbra (and its community) is still the coolest thing ever!
    - dgamez -

Netnovation Vzla, S.A.
    Zimbra VAR

Caracas - Venezuela

Quote Originally Posted by blazeking View Post
    I noted similar sounding errors here (http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...ng-errors.html). The problem went away after an upgrade. Is that what you're experiencing?
    Yes, that is similar. I was running .13 originally, and thats when I added my second server. I then upgraded to .15 so I'm not sure where the problem originated, or if it reintroduced after the upgrade. I may open a ticket after I bang on it a bit more.