Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] NDR message on message failure

Default [SOLVED] NDR message on message failure

Hello,

Is there a way to set the sender mail of zimbra "example.com" to receive the NDR message failure from an external mail system such as gmail, yahoo and hotmail?

In my case now, when the user sent an email to usernotexists@yahoo.com, the message still in the queue while the error message, "connect to yahoo.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]" connection refused. I wanna sent a notification to the sender to let him know that the email is wrong.

Cheers,

I'm trying to work out what you are trying to do, it seems that you want people to send email to your domain but if they use an address that does not exist, you want a bounce back message to be sent by your server, but appear to come from google?

If that's what you are after then the answer is no, I cant imagine what use such an function would be or how to impliment it. I think I'm not understanding what you are asking for.

Hello,

First of all thank you for you reply...

what I want it exactly is to deliver the NDR that coming from the external domain to the sender in my domain:

Scenario:
    I have the domain name example.com and the user@example was sent an email to usernotexists@yahoo.com, in this case the email has been queued and trying to deliver from zimbra admin console although its status is active.

After a few moments you will notice that the status will changed to deferred for the reason that the mentioned account @ yahoo.com doesn't exists, on mouse over on the error it appear that "connection to the yahoo.com failed [xx.xx.xx.xx] connection refused" now I want to inform the user@example.com that the error message that It came from the receiver domain in order to know that the recipient wasn't available.

If you need more information please let me know..

Cheers,

Right, so if a user on your network sends an email out to a third part email sever for an address that does not exist, you want to send the cannot deliver message from your own server?

Those messages are normally the responsibility of the destination server, not the source so I dont know if this will be possible.

Again thank you for your response,

but it is logic, lets simulate this case on the none zimbra, when you send an email from user@gmail.com to user@yahoo.com if the user@yahoo.com doesn't exists or some another reason, the sender user@gmail.com will receive an NDR "None Delivery Report" saying that the message coundn't delivered for the reason lablablablablab .....

So how do I inform the users on my network "Zimbra Server" that the message didn't send...

Cheers,

You can tweak a few things I think. One is the setting is

maximal_queue_lifetime

this determines how long a message will remain in the queue. i think the default is 5 days, so when your user sends to soemone@yahoo.com and it can't be delivered because of that they'll usually get the NDR 5 days later.

If you set that to 0 it will only try once and then give up and send the NDR. The other option, one we prefer is to leave the queue life at 5days, but send a warning after like 4 hours. you can control this with the option

delay_warning_time

this is set to 0 i think by default.

so if you leave the queue lifetime to 5d and set the warning time to 4h heres what will happen

the user sends an e-mail to soemoene@yahoo.com and your server gets the connection refused. it defers the message to the queue to be retired for 5 days.

after 4 hours your user gets an -emila that says that delivery has been unsuccessful and it will try again for 5 days and not to resend the e-mail.

after 5 days your user will get a message that says it was unable to deliver it for 5 days and is giving up.

okay, so lets fly with the second option and try it, I keep it in the queue for one day and send an warning message after 5 minutes.

where I can found the mentioned parameters? I ran this command:
    Code:
    zmprov | grep maximal_queue_lifetime
    and
    Code:
    zmlocalconfig | grep maximal_queue_lifetime
    So can you provide more details about it?

Cheers,

they're postfix paramaters you'll need to use postconf to modify them

Is there any example? or wiki, document etc.....

Code:
    su - zimbra
    postconf -e 'delay_warning_time = 4h'
    zmcontrol stop
    zmcontrol start